Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun question
NOW REMEMBER FOLKS WHAT I SAID, DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT BREAKS THE LAW, OR SUFFER THE DIRE CONSEQUENCES..With that I think I'll make a personal mp3 horn with two different sounds dogs remember like snakes, and snakes...It should be on your local stores in the next 10 years...

Just An Old Hippie trying to live by the golden rule..
Just An Old Hippie trying to live by the golden rule..
Puma, sorry, I missed that. Could you repeat it please?
Alaska has high crime rates? I don't know about the rest of the state but not here in Juneau where I currently live.

I started this thread just cause I was curious about bringing a handgun into the state. I wasn't planning on shoving a gun down my pants and shooting people. Just keeping it on my property in case of dangerous dogs or meth heads.

While I don't NEED a conceled weapons permit here in Alaska I also don't just cart my guns around with me. I only take them in my car when I'm going to the gun range or to get them serviced. But I can tell you, that if I got pulled over with a gun in the car the first words outta my mouht would be:

"Officer, there is a gun in the glove box. It is unloaded and secured with a trigger lock" and then I'd ask him what I was pulled over for.

Dayna

www.AvianNation.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
hi Puma,
please don't take offense, but so far I haven't gotten through any of your longer posts, because there is no white space. If you don't hit Enter every so often, it's real hard on the "old hippie" eyes. [Smile]
Puma: You were right to lurk.
There have been many opinions & such, but here are some links & explanations that seem to ring true (I would have loved to find an online permit, but the reason why I haven't is that your signature must be witnessed AT the firearm registration office & the state seems to have had problems with this in the past....so no online. It also does seem to speed things up if you call for an appointment before heading into register....

Here is a good link for an explanation of the Hawaii firearm laws:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf

Parker Ranch provides this guide for their visitors (copy & paste):
hunt.parkerranch.com/file_download/2/firearms.pdf

From this link:
http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun134-2.htm
“If you want to get a gun in Hawaii you will need a permit to acquire. For handguns, you will need a separate permit for each handgun you wish to purchase. For long guns (rifle or shotguns) you will need to get a single permit which will be valid for one year from the date of issue.

You will need the following documentation prior to completing the application. The application must be completed at the Firearms Section.
1. Valid photo identification.
2. Permit to acquire application.
3. Firearms questionnaire form.
4. Mental health waiver form.
5. Medical Waiver form.
6. Fingerprint card. (First time in-state purchase and $19.25 FBI fingerprinting fee. Bring cash.)
7. Background check. (Background check includes, but is not limited to, warrant checks, local and national arrest history, local and national criminal history, local and national criminal convictions, any pending cases and TRO's.)
8. Hunters education card or a handgun safety training course affidavit. (Handguns only)
9. Proof of U.S citizenship if born outside the United States.

Permit to acquire
The following are needed when applying for a permit to acquire:
1. Valid identification that includes a photograph, such as a driver's license, state identification card, military ID, or United States passport. (You must be 21 years old or older to purchase a firearm.)
2. Complete an application for permit to acquire firearms with specific information, including: Make, Model, Caliber, Type, (revolver, Semi-automatic, etc), Finish, barrel length, and Serial Number.
3. The name, address, and telephone number of the seller.
4. A handgun safety training course affidavit, or hunters education card.
5. Provide proof of United States citizenship, if born outside of the United States, such as a United States passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate.
6. If you were convicted of a DUI, you need to bring in a substance abuse assessment from District Court Drivers License Education. (IF counseling was ordered, a medical clearance is also required.)
NOTE: For the long gun permit, you don't need #3 and #4.
You will need to wait 14 days before your permit is approved. After the 14-day waiting period the permit will be valid for only 6 calendar days. Permits not picked up by the 6th day will be voided. Applicants will need to reapply and go through another 14-day waiting period, so please plan accordingly. Married couples who would like to have their firearms jointly registered in both names need to also bring the Original Marriage Certificate.

Registration
After purchase or acquisition of the firearm return to the [HPD] Firearms Section no later than calendar days with the following.

1. Valid photo identification.
2. Your original firearms permit.
3. The firearm for inspection.

Complete the firearms registration form and sign the firearms registration card.

There is no 14-day waiting period for out of state registration. Once the firearm arrives in the state you have 3 calendar days to bring it, with valid photo identification and proof of citizenship if born outside the United States, to the [HPD] Firearms Section.”

Permit to Carry Concealed Firearm Link:
http://hawaii.gov/ag/criminal_justice/LE...ctions.pdf
Concealed Firearm Application link:
http://hawaii.gov/ag/criminal_justice/LE...cation.pdf
Listening to a police scanner does not make you an expert on anything, except on how to listen to a police scanner.
You may want to check your spelling before calling other people ignorant. It's not a good look.
Dayna,

You will need to register your gun within 30 days they will take your gun and keep it for up to 2-3 months. You will end up getting it back eventually!!!

Good Luck

Aloha
Morningstar
Carey, your links (Permit to Carry Concealed Firearm Link:
http://hawaii.gov/ag/criminal_justice/LE...ctions.pdf
Concealed Firearm Application link:
http://hawaii.gov/ag/criminal_justice/LE...cation.pdf) were for retired cops. As I will likely return to Fl at least once a year I don't think I will bother with the hoops Hawaii wants me to jump thru. I'll just use my Fl certificate in Hawaii as the federal law provides. Hawaii obviously would like to interfere the provisions of 18 United States Code § 926C. Hawaii still strongly restricts the rights for those with no LEO background. A real shame.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
How do you feel about CCW in Florida as a cop Oink? Do you feel as though people who carry are a threat to society? Would love to get the perspective of the law enforcement in Florida on the front lines... It seems you would wish to continue to carry in Hawaii.