Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, I am now over the rain. Ready for sun.
These are the facts:

Hilo Hawaii Weather:

Due to its location on the windward side of the Hawaii's Big Island, Hilo is one of the wettest towns in the world with an average rainfall of 129 inches.

On average, precipitation of more than .01 inches is measured 278 days of the year.

Did you house shop during the drought?

Yes, I knew it was rainy here, and I would still argue it keeps out the riff-raff. In December/January of 2007, I think, it rained for 40 days straight and my renters complained -- they really started moaning. I still find the rain kind of exotic and run out the front door and stare off into the distance when it really roars. I am basically a sun bunny though. If possible, I drop everything when the sun is out and run and jump in the water. You have to do that here because the fact that the sun is out NOW does not mean the sun will be out in two hours. That is why I don't like to commit to indoor activities in Hilo during the day. If it is sunny, I want to take advantage of it and I may just end up NOT going to that play you thought I was going to go see with you! Please make a note of it!

In my limited experience, visiting, the Hilo weather pattern is this: brief squall in the morning, possibility of glorious sunshine until about 4:00, at which point it can rain in a more serious way. If it doesn't do that, the next opportunity for rain is about 9 or 10 at night, just as you are about to retire. Perfect. And always pretty warm.

The current pattern is atypical based on my limited experience: Rain, interrupted by monsoonal rain,then a lull or two, and low, low temperatures for this area.

Still, super-glad to have the good fortune to live on one of the most remote and beautiful volcanic islands in the world. Hanohano moku o keawe! The birds twitter at the arrival of the malihini, the sea mist lands on my face and curls my hair, the lava flows again to the sea!
Options;
Sometimes it rains to the point of getting a bit depressing, so instead of complaining, I figure it is Pele's way of telling me to head over to Kona to do some exploring or diving and rejoice in the fact that there are usually dry places within an hour or two that are wonderful and new.
We will look for a good deal on craig's list or VRBO and spend a few days having a mini vacation.
Or take the time for a movie or go to the Planetarium.
Make lemonade with those lemons or just be quiet until it passes.

Dan
Looks like that equatorial moisture has moved East. Drier air coming in.
@ no-one-in-particular: If you can't embrace the rain then this is likely not the place for you--because you certainly can't change it. We all have a "right" to complain, but the reality is that it buys you nothing. (I suppose it helps some folks blow off steam, though.) Comparing your situation to others less fortunate is a common way to remind yourself just how fortunate you are. And with all this rain we've had, I now appreciate the sunshine even more. Like Kelena, when the sun comes out, I head for the water and soak it all in while I can.

Can't think of a place I'd rather be than here. Counting my blessings...
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
My point on the 40 days post was that yes, sometimes it does rain a lot, and there have been months of rain before (40 days is biblical, that is the reason sooo many people use it) sometimes there is no rain....a month or more of no rain. That is the reality of living here.

Yes, this is one of the wetter patterns, (there have been clear days in the last 40...about one day a week or so..I did laundry then!) but you have got to realize that to accumulate the rainfall average that we have on the east side, it must either rain about 0.5 inches each & every day, or there must be times of very heavy rain, followed by times of little to no rain. If it has not rained 0.5 inches each & every day you have lived here, then this is the catch-up time....

If you have lived here only during this long spell of rain, then you can look forward to some weather that is less rainy... maybe even a few days with no rain ;~)

Oh, and the weather does make it to the front page of the Trib Herald whenever there is a large change up in the pattern (like a month or more of one pattern or another...) and the snow fall & winter advisories usually make the front page & even the 10 o'clock news in Honolulu (as news, not in the weather report)....but they happen most every year...

ETA: OHHH, and one of the best things about this much rain? the weeds are sooo much easier to pull,,, much of the vine growth that has happened this last month are rooted in air & water, they just pull out like a zipper pull...OK, I didn't weed for a month....& now it is way past 'time to weed'. Luckily the weeds are coming up real easy... even the sleeping grass came up without a thorny fight!
quote:
Originally posted by Obie

These are the facts:

Hilo Hawaii Weather:

Due to its location on the windward side of the Hawaii's Big Island, Hilo is one of the wettest towns in the world with an average rainfall of 129 inches.

On average, precipitation of more than .01 inches is measured 278 days of the year.

Did you house shop during the drought?

WOW, let me say it again, I spent 8 winters on the EAST side of both Maui (Hana) and here.
NOT shopping in the drought. I was here shopping during the aforementioned 40 days of rain.

Can't I complain that it is enough?
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by punafish

@ no-one-in-particular: If you can't embrace the rain then this is likely not the place for you--because you certainly can't change it. We all have a "right" to complain, but the reality is that it buys you nothing. (I suppose it helps some folks blow off steam, though.) Comparing your situation to others less fortunate is a common way to remind yourself just how fortunate you are. And with all this rain we've had, I now appreciate the sunshine even more. Like Kelena, when the sun comes out, I head for the water and soak it all in while I can.

Can't think of a place I'd rather be than here. Counting my blessings...

Agreed. I moved from rain. I have lived in Washington for 35 years before moving here. I am into the rain.
However, I guess it is not ok to say I am ready for it to end after 40 days of rain. That's all. Just a statement that I thought folks could relate to, guess not.
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

So what do you want us to do about it?

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/

in order to post about how i am ready for the rain to stop I need to have a solution to it?
I don't want you to do anything about it. Who could do anything about it? I just thought some others would feel the same and be able to relate. Guess not.
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by csgray....The Bayfront soccer fields haven't even been totally submerged yet, so it can't be all that bad. It just feels like it.

Carol

Dont you just love how we all have our "lots of rain" markers? I thought the same thing when I drove by the fields yesterday!

Just so you know who you can blame for the rain, SB has a big concrete pour scheduled as soon as rains move along and he is trying to get it in before Christmas so count on rain till the 24th!! [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

By the way, it is pouring at the moment through the sunshine!!! Liquid gold!!