Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
PunaMauka2, you might make a clearer argument if you use fewer words.
Also, proper punctuation is an important part of sentence structure. Don't worry, we'll still assume that you're articulate and intelligent.
Carry on.
Originally posted by Punaperson
A practical question brought up by another thread:

There have been 100 protesters on the mountain for 3 weeks. What are they using for bathroom facilities?

Given that they are set up by the visitor center, presumably they are using the restrooms there. According to the VIS website, these are open 24/7 (and 365, just in case Wink
From my understanding, the visitor center is maintained/operated by the Mauna Kea Support Services, which is basically funded by the consortium of telescopes.

Is it somewhere between ironic and hypocritical that the protesters need and use the facilities funded by the very entities they are trying to remove from the mountain ?
mahalonuiloa for dropping in with the grammar and punctuation coaching, Clayjacks. now if we are finished about me for the time being, may we digress for a moment back to TMT...

a few notably curious quotes from Kamahana Kealoha, facilitator with the "Sacred Mauna Kea Hui" (aka the protectors). from the Hawaii News Now blurb, "EXCLUSIVE: Mauna Kea protest benefactor" (link on previous page):

"We recognize her stewardship as very alii-like and we aloha her for that and hope that others can look to her and see the value of our efforts,"

very ali'i-like? ...interesting expression.

"We are in no way nurturing these arrests. They should not be arresting us for protecting the mountain at all,"

"We are being forced to put our bodies in the way of protecting our mountain and protecting it from being desecrated."

"forced" ...wow.

relevant thoughts?
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

mahalonuiloa for dropping in with the grammar and punctuation coaching, Clayjacks. now if we are finished about me for the time being, may we digress for a moment back to TMT...

a few notably curious quotes from Kamahana Kealoha, facilitator with the "Sacred Mauna Kea Hui" (aka the protectors). from the Hawaii News Now blurb, "EXCLUSIVE: Mauna Kea protest benefactor" (link on previous page):

"We recognize her stewardship as very alii-like and we aloha her for that and hope that others can look to her and see the value of our efforts,"

very ali'i-like? ...interesting expression.

"We are in no way nurturing these arrests. They should not be arresting us for protecting the mountain at all,"

"We are being forced to put our bodies in the way of protecting our mountain and protecting it from being desecrated."

"forced" ...wow.

relevant thoughts?

The words of a psychopath. He really needs to get out of the Dark Ages. See the light, if not smell the coffee.

Liberty is Sacred.
One's Honor is Sacred.
Mountain tops, piles of dirt and or rubble, well... not so much.

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
Punaperson,

"From my understanding, the visitor center is maintained/operated by the Mauna Kea Support Services, which is basically funded by the consortium of telescopes.

Is it somewhere between ironic and hypocritical that the protesters need and use the facilities funded by the very entities they are trying to remove from the mountain ?
"

That is exactly what's happening, and yes, it's very ironic.
Speaking of irony, some of the protesters took to driving on the summit ridge sounding their car horns at night. One of the lawsuits against the TMT specifically listed noise from the TMT and observatories as a problem (it isn't), but obviously honking horns in the summit area is just fine.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Speaking of irony, some of the protesters took to driving on the summit ridge sounding their car horns at night. One of the lawsuits against the TMT specifically listed noise from the TMT and observatories as a problem (it isn't), but obviously honking horns in the summit area is just fine.

If you see a star falling in the woods, does it make noise? Luddites are as Luddites do, and any pretense that can be thrown, like a wrench, into the workings of advanced culture, will not go un-heaved.

It kind of reminds me of NASCAR, when one driver can't pass the one in front, he just slams into him, and knocks him off the road except Luddites aren't too much interested in getting ahead, just interfering with their bettors.

As we seems to be word-smithing...

Punaperson - no, it would be hypocritical to NOT use the VIS restrooms.

TomK - not sure if it actually fits the often abused definition of irony, in this case the situational variety, unless the visitor center has a cesspool. (stated meaning in opposition to intended)
http://blog.dictionary.com/ironic/

What is the sewer system for the VIS, housing complex, and observatories? As for the honking, that's ironic, but dumb. (What do we want? Silence! When do we want it? ...)

PM2 - if you don't dig alii-like, how about alii-esque or alii-ish? A guess at the intended meaning is like a leader, although it is a somewhat conflicted given the changing role of the alii over time. As for the situation and one's beliefs "forcing" a response, perhaps "demanding", "requiring", or "compelling" acknowledges more choice in the matter, although the common phrase "forcing one's hand" fits as well methinks.

OnoOno (Oh no...) - See first word discussed. Kettle, meet pot.

EDIT: hammering out a few dents
A true environmentalist would recommend the end of all human life on this planet.

Oh, oh... do I get a vote? (sorry, low hanging fruit)

not sure if it actually fits the often abused definition of irony

It's not ironic that the protesters use the VIS for it's intended purpose, but does seem ironic that since they are against observatory construction and ancillary buildings on Mauna Kea, they are dependent upon the VIS to make their protest possible. Or at least more comfortable.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves