Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
"…big eyed Martians…"

and some still (or recently decided to) believe in mountain gods! Fortunately for them, and unlike you, they will never have to deal with empirical evidence, so can stay childlike forever!

But watch out for their tantrums…
HERE is an interesting article in the Honolulu Civil Beat by award winning journalist Ian Lind about the TMT and it's challenges.
Someone forwarded me this e-mail from the Canada France Hawaii Telescope. An activist site in Denmark has been sending spam and clogging their servers with anti-TMT drivel:

"Just a heads-up that CFHT started to receive 100 spam emails per hour last night, with copies of anti-TMT letters to Ige (or other content that's anti-TMT). Apparently, the VIS is also under attack.

An activist site in Denmark was using a public email address that we use for information and outreach. We disabled that address until we can filter those emails out.

I just thought you should be aware. Please share with your software
departments!"
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

HERE is an interesting article in the Honolulu Civil Beat by award winning journalist Ian Lind about the TMT and it's challenges.

I read the article in question. He fails to mention anything substantive about the 2012 CDUP contested case hearing officer's decision, which gave the BLNR the green light to grant the CDUP.

The Final FOF D&O by the hearing officer is posted here:

http://dlnr.hawaii.gov/occl/special-projects/

There is substantive differences between the Kilakila o Haleakala case and the TMT litigation.

http://www.maunakeaandtmt.org/wp-content...cision.pdf
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonia...57/?no-ist

From the outside, this argument may seem like another case of Native beliefs versus modern science. As astronomer Tom Kerr wrote back in 2011, "It seems to me that it's an argument about returning to the stone age versus understanding our universe and it'll be interesting to see who wins in the end."
Pretty strange that the smithsonian mag article references toms personal blog not to mention a number of other bizarre sources.

I wouldn't expect to see such biased opinion coming out of the smitsonian.

I wouldn't be surprised if that article is retracted. The writer is certainly entitled to his opinions but using the smitsonian name as a platform seems incorrect to me somehow - almost tarnishing their good name - to show my own inherent bias.
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron S

Someone forwarded me this e-mail from the Canada France Hawaii Telescope. An activist site in Denmark has been sending spam and clogging their servers with anti-TMT drivel:

"Just a heads-up that CFHT started to receive 100 spam emails per hour last night, with copies of anti-TMT letters to Ige (or other content that's anti-TMT). Apparently, the VIS is also under attack.

An activist site in Denmark was using a public email address that we use for information and outreach. We disabled that address until we can filter those emails out.

I just thought you should be aware. Please share with your software
departments!"

How bizarre. I was just thinking which is more disturbing, the lava as it slowly almost took over Pahoa and the hwy, my only exit route out of lower Puna OR this obscure and inappropriate disturbance at the summit? I think the latter, natural disasters have an order about them.
Originally posted by rainyjim
Pretty strange that the smithsonian mag article references toms personal blog not to mention a number of other bizarre sources.

I wouldn't expect to see such biased opinion coming out of the smitsonian.

What other bizarre sources are you talking about? (I'll concede the bizarreness of that Tom Kerr chap Wink Other than the bit about "knowing and being" seemed mostly to be a recap of events IMO.
Wikipedia and the other blogs
Originally posted by rainyjim
Wikipedia and the other blogs

Gotcha - I didn't run across anything that I hadn't heard elsewhere so didn't click through the links. Agreed, very informal sources for Smithsonian standards, especially when much of that information can be attributed to better primary sources.