Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
quote:
Originally posted by pog

Since you are so fond of telling us you live by the water maybe you would let them put the siren on your land ... THEN you would have something else to talk about.

pog

Wow, that is supportive. Thanks(not) [V]
hawaiideborah
The nearest siren to the folks living on the ocean on Kaloli Point is on Kaloli and 4th. Maybe look at a map to see how far away that is. The ocean itself always has some background noise and usually the winds blow off the ocean, so sound is harder to hear when the ocean is loud and the wind is blowing the siren sound from 4th and Kaloli away from you. We are about a mile and a half from the nearest siren. It does seem that a siren should be placed closer to the Kaloli Point area since lots of folks use the cliff paths there.
Those of you in Orchidland and Keaau who heard sirens, that is fantastic. I am glad they are heard there. My point is that on the ocean nearby Kaloli Point right where the most damage will happen you can not hear the siren. Check a map, this is pretty far from the nearest siren. It is not acceptable for residents on Kaloli Point to have the nearest siren be on Kaloli and 4th. You don't agree?
hawaiideborah
Deborah, HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE CD NOTIFICATION (I have mentioned this in past threads)

If you have not PLEASE do so! If you have already, did the notification work?

The County CANNOT supply sirens for each & every property owner... yes, by the ocean would seem to make sense, but there may be many issues that make it less viable, things link salt corrosion & background noise & wind such.... there are also areas that may have volcanic emergencies that may also be in areas that may not be good for siren installation....

PLEASE help the county by utilizing the services they offer for all of us, and remember, after listening to what happened out east just last night & watching the 3/1`1 tsunami live... when you live in an ocean flood zone, YOU MUST BE ABLE & READY TO MAKE SOME DECISIONS WITHOUT RELYING ON THE COUNTY TO TELL YOU WHAT RO DO....

ADDED: If you live out of the flood zone, have you offered space to others within the flood zone?

Do you have provisions if our lifeline transportation are taken out? (remember where all of the public transportation for this county are located... within the proximity of the inundation zone...since we have been here Hilo & Kawaihae harbors have both been damaged & ships scuttled, Hilo due to storm surge & Kawaihae due to tsunami)

Have you thought about what would happen if storm intensity, duration & frequency increase in the next few years?

Do you have a hurricane plan, just in case?
quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Deborah, HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE CD NOTIFICATION (I have mentioned this in past threads)

If you have not PLEASE do so! If you have already, did the notification work?

The County CANNOT supply sirens for each & every property owner... yes, by the ocean would seem to make sense, but there may be many issues that make it less viable, things link salt corrosion & background noise & wind such.... there are also areas that may have volcanic emergencies that may also be in areas that may not be good for siren installation....

PLEASE help the county by utilizing the services they offer for all of us, and remember, after listening to what happened out east just last night & watching the 3/1`1 tsunami live... when you live in an ocean flood zone, YOU MUST BE ABLE & READY TO MAKE SOME DECISIONS WITHOUT RELYING ON THE COUNTY TO TELL YOU WHAT RO DO....

Yes, I have been signed up for 1 1/2 years and it does work.
My post was that the sirens are not heard down on Kaloli Point. I learned not to rely on sirens after March 11 and am on the phone call list, text and email. I also let the neighbors know. However, there are folks who are on the beach paths night fishing with the full moon and there are vacation rentals. I am concerned that a siren needs to be on Kaloli Point. There are (illegal) fish camps on weekends often right near Kaloli. The sirens need to be heard down on the water and they are not heard.
hawaiideborah
Maybe it is time for Kaloli Point homeowners to establish a separate homeowners association to deal with the unique situations of living on the point.

Added. this would be in addition to the HPP, Road Assn... one that would give a larger voice to the Points' concerns... it can be all volunteer, and mainly as a representative body... all you would need is enough people to take on the leadership & enough that have similar concerns...

Carey, that is a great idea. I think the neighborhoods organizing and helping each other out is where we can get some more energy going to help protect folks. I am active in the PAKA Neighborhood watch (branch off of HPP Neighborhood watch) for Kaloli Point and I do patrols.
Thank you for your constructive suggestion to get the neighborhood involved. It got me no where to contact government officials and Shipman Ltd was not interested in a siren placement either.
hawaiideborah
I think it may be a good idea as well.

Perhaps the 2nd largest subdivision in the U.S. should divide itself into three organizing subsets? Or maybe that would just make things even worse.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I believe I did hear a siren -- and not just the kind that sings to you and makes you crash your boat on the shoals! Maybe it was the one on 6th and Maku'u. It was faint, like a mosquito, but I did hear one. It wouldn't have woken anyone up. I had to step out on the lanai to be certain I was hearing it. The whole experience was very eerie, with the helicopters with blinking lights, the police telling everyone to leave (with few leaving other than me!), the decision about what to take, and the momentary indecision about where to go relieved by a call from a friend.

Mahalo to the few kind people who thought of me, called to check on me and to those who offered me and my girl a place to go. I am very grateful.

And for one night, I was not thinking about Pele! Okay, actually, yes I was. I was thinking how funny it was that while my dinosaur brain was focused on Pele the way that T-rex in Jurassic Park focused on that poor lawyer who ended up in her mouth, I forgot about the ocean. I find it interesting that Pele was engaged in a sort of sleight of hand at the time. The lava lake was threatening to spill out onto the caldera and it really looked like something was going to happen. Then, as if a magician's cape passed over it, it receded and all went very quiet, save for the seismic sound of her footsteps as she stepped away, malie, malie, malie.

And while I was looking at the mountain that refused to come to me and fighting the urge to do what Mohammed did in that situation (go to it), I turned my back on the ocean. And then I had something more tangible to worry about. As Robert Muldoon said in Jurassic Park, Clever girl. Really, very, very clever. And that's the fascination: Animal intelligence, and maniacal energy coupled with natural beauty. Mythic stuff.

In my solipsistic worldview, the potentially cataclysmic energy that was welling up in the caldera was transferred to the ocean and safely dispersed throughout it. It had to go somewhere. And that event, broke the spell. For now. Ocean go in, ocean go out. Infinite blue. Nothing menacing about it. The lava lake recedes.

All is calm and beautiful in a post-lobotomy kind of way. But the energy of a goddess never goes away. Even when you don't see her, you feel it everywhere. With nature so powerful and such a powerful nature, something or somebody will be moved.

And, Of course, with Pele, the mere mention of her name could easily turn the flicker.......into a flame.
I find it interesting that even though the message is gone, the one who now has concerns about the lack of siren coverage in their area DID post DURING the evacuation time, and before the Puna sirens went off, complaining that they could not hear the sirens at Kaloli....and do get the warning messages:
"have been signed up for 1 1/2 years and it does work."

They DID have the early warning & chose to post a complaint....Big question I have, which of the Point residents were they, they ones that did follow the county request to evacuate, or not.... all I know for sure is that they had a warning & were posting here.....

The system may work, but not if those getting the warning do not follow through....
I found out in multiple ways: 1) Got a message on my iPhone from Hawaii Civil Defense, 2)Got a "push" notification on my iPhone from a friend on Facebook that there had been an earthquake in B.C., 3) Got a telephone call from a very nice Punawebber Smile.

I did not hear the far-off siren until later, but it was in advance of the evacuation deadline, which was 9:30.