Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii history and cannibalism
Grim article from 2011 addressing a contemporary act of cannibalism in the south pacific "Stephan Ramin" interesting name for a cannibalism victim - some good background as well

"
Anthropologists distinguish between survival cannibalism and ritual cannibalism, endocannibalism (the eating of one’s own dead) and exocannibalism (the killing of outsiders). Survival cannibalism can be traced back to prehistoric times. A two-million-year-old cranium was once found with cut marks, suggesting that the flesh was carefully peeled away from the skull.
Herodotus, the ancient Greek historian, observed two types of cannibalism in Asia: the reverential eating of one’s own dead and the triumphant demolition of one’s enemies. It wasn’t, however, until Christopher Columbus’s expeditions in the late 1400s that the term became widely known. His report on the flesh-eating “Caribs” tribe in the West Indies appears to have been misinterpreted as “Canibs”, hence “cannibals”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travel...qus_thread

edit added text
My big-picture on this is to not judge anyone (Hawaiians, Native Americans, Western Europeans, anyone) on ways of life from centuries before using today's morals. Hell, white America had slavery until 150 years ago, and segregation until 50 years ago. There were witch trials in Salem, Massachusetts.

So unless someone is practicing cannibalism today (which supposedly still happens in parts of Papua New Guinea), it doesn't particularly bother me what they did 200+ years ago.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
it doesn't particularly bother me what they did 200+ years ago.

You don't have to go back very far to find that everyone has skeletons in their ancestral closet, hut, tipi, cave...
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Or as some might say - leftovers. Wink
America had slavery until 150 years ago, and segregation until 50 years ago

America still practices both slavery and segregation, it is only the means which have changed.
You slacking Kalakoa, where is your cynical, state / county segue spin ?
Justin,

Couldn't agree more, but I don't think you have yet to get the point of this thread. Someone said Hawaiian people who ate body parts are not cannibals. I was asking how people who eat body parts aren't cannibals. I see no definition of cannibalism that excludes Hawaiians, or any other culture for that matter.

If I lived in New Guinea I might well ask the same question of the locals there, but in this case it was a very specific claim about Hawaiians I responded to. It was a genuine question and still don't think I've seen a really good answer.
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

Or as some might say - leftovers. Wink

Is that a reference to the movie "Parents"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098068/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
Bless me, father, for I have sinned.
quote:
Originally posted by eigoya

I'll take Transubstantiation for $200.

><(((*< ... ><(("< ... ><('< ... >o>
Full circle

"The word "host" is derived from the Latin hostia, which means "sacrificial victim". The term can be used to describe the bread both before and after consecration"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacramental_bread