Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow approching Emergency Road and Ocean
Top of the morning to you Opihikao, sorry I didn't respond any sooner.

Very sorry about the loss of your coconuts and the feelings that can come with that kind of loss, damn thieves. The Coconuts selling for $5.00 each out on the lava flow hike Could easily have been from your area. Most of the nuts were young and the folks selling them did not have any coconut trees on their lava flow property. Uncle Sam wouldn't give lolo's from Chicago permission to steal. Jmo.

To answer your other question regarding my many lava tours or experiences. Although I am a big lava junkie myself, I Don't give or take any paid tours to the lava flows. This last trip out to the lava flow was with my better half, my two youngest sons ages 4 and 5, my best friend, his wife, and their two young kids ages 4 and 7. This lava flow experience was the first for these young kids, they were amazed by the lava. We were very impressed with Pele and the kids who all handled the 8-10 mile hike with very little complaining.

We hiked out there Monday night and I was blown away at how many people brought their dogs! The lava covering the road was so hot still there was smoke and glowing lava no more than a 1/2 foot from the surface! The heat was burning my husbands feet through his tennis shoes; I can only imagine what the four footed fur babies must have experienced! Please leave the dogs at home!! A gallon of water per person seems like a lot when you read the sign but trust me when I say that should be minimum! Especially if it is a day time hike! There was a guy in a white truck offering rides back for $20 a head (yeah, the $harks are feeding) and would not come down in price. Whoever came up with the bike brigade should also pass on some tips. On a ski hill if passing someone you say, "On your right" or "left", that may be appropriate for bikers passing pedestrians as well. Once again leave the dogs at home or some place shady and with plenty of water.[Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Top of the morning to you Opihikao, sorry I didn't respond any sooner.

Very sorry about the loss of your coconuts and the feelings that can come with that kind of loss, damn thieves. The Coconuts selling for $5.00 each out on the lava flow hike Could easily have been from your area. Most of the nuts were young and the folks selling them did not have any coconut trees on their lava flow property. Uncle Sam wouldn't give lolo's from Chicago permission to steal. Jmo.

To answer your other question regarding my many lava tours or experiences. Although I am a big lava junkie myself, I Don't give or take any paid tours to the lava flows. This last trip out to the lava flow was with my better half, my two youngest sons ages 4 and 5, my best friend, his wife, and their two young kids ages 4 and 7. This lava flow experience was the first for these young kids, they were amazed by the lava. We were very impressed with Pele and the kids who all handled the 8-10 mile hike with very little complaining.

Aloha, gypsy. It is quite an adventure! The keiki must be enthralled, even with the long hike. Bless them.

Sorry for my rant about the coconuts, but $5 a piece is quite steep. Now, we have a $20 ride out, non-negotiable. Geeze! Yes, the human mano are feeding...(have no problem with making money, but being reasonable is worthy of consideration).

Stay safe all, there is nothing worth losing someone, or getting hurt trying to experience the lava.

Have a good evening all.

JMO.
$5 coconuts being sold someplace with shade and access to water is expensive, $5 coconuts someone hauled out to the middle of a hot shadeless lava field would be worth every penny to some. It is all about scarcity and the law of supply and demand.
It is all about scarcity and the law of supply and demand.

So, you would have no problem before or after a tropical storm paying triple for a generator, chainsaw, or 4x8 sheet of plywood? Someone help me here. Is that called supply and demand, or is there another term applied when a hardware store or lumber yard engages in the practice?

The moon kind of surprises me sometimes. I’ll be out at night and I’ll see a nice moon, and say, “Hey, that looks good.” Then I’ll say, “Oh sh-t, I went up there one time!” Kind of surprises me. It’s like there are two Moons, you know—the one that’s usually around, and then that one. - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Lots of people are walking over the active flow which is about 760 feet wide and really hot. I was pretty surprised. We went yesterday and saw two guys almost get covered by a breakout that opened right in front of them where they were trying to walk. They cheered and threw something flammable into the lava. Sad

It's about 4.25 miles out and the bike rentals are booming and there's a ton of people out there. With the road going right to the lava it's much easier than 3-4 years ago to access. I hope no one gets seriously hurt.