Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The bums are back in Pahoa
Homeless is a community problem and will require a community solution. IF the community is engaged it can be achieved. Instead o9f trying to segregate the homeless in a few concentrated locations - to make it easier for the gov. to deliver services, I suggest the homeless be disbursed away from each other. If every church was given a reasonable, portable housing unit to be placed at the church and that church took on oversight and family support functions for one individual or family I think the potential for removing them from a homeless future is good. Would our churches want to do this? Interesting question for Christian or non Christian congregations.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
If every church was given a reasonable, portable housing unit

Aren't there a bunch of these behind a church in Pahoa?

Round and round we go...
This gets expensive quick, because the alcohol lobby has plenty money, and it's a "legal" product under the all-preemptive "Federal law"...
----------
I don't think that will happen. They will not promote careless and excessive drinking. They promote responsible drinking, which this isn't and they aren't making enough money off a handful of bums in Pahoa. They would be more concerned if the public had another outcry against alcohol consumption and asked that laws be tightened further.
They promote responsible drinking

I'm sure someone can explain how a 40-oz bottle of malt liquor is meant for "responsible" consumption.
That's roughly 4 beers Kalakoa, not even a sixer.
I will explain by showing you. Smile
The real story is that these folks -- addicted or not -- took Luquins away from all of us!!! Off with their heads!!! (jokes! ....ok, maybe not. [Big Grin])
I've noticed my tolerance for "those folks" has waned since the fire too..
I was discussing in a somewhat joking/cynical way earlier today when we passed by a few people boozing and toking it up on random, mainstreet walls... why not have a park unofficially designated as the 'Adult Park'. I mean, really, Pahoa has always had the free spirit reputation (pretty cool actually), but lately the free spirit has denigrated to an undesirable reputation... Why not channel it elsewhere from main street and still keep the escapist charm? Still give a place for the wild ones to gather within reason, off the central arena, away from the kids and school zones? Pipe dream. Food for thought. PahoaAmsterdam.

Melissa Fletcher
"Make yurts, not war" Bill Coperthwaite, 1973

This has been done before, in Baltimore. Do you know what happened? there was an immediate, historic crime drop, never before seen. Then, the government came down on the mayor like a ten ton stack of bricks and immediately shut it down. If something like this were to be done, it could not be officially sanctioned by the police. However, Baltimore shows a clear, immediate precedent that gathering drug use together into one area dramatically lowers the crime rate throughout an entire city.

Aloha Smile
Aloha Smile