Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
H-130 Beautification Planning???
Your right DanielP. Infrastructure can be extended in the real world. But in Puna.....in private subdivisions... it would cost a fortune and the county doesn't want to do it.
I'm curious: What type of infrastructure do you think a grocery store in HPP might require that would cost a fortune?

People mention water a lot and I understand that water lines deep into HPP would be costly. But county water is not a legal requirement for such a store. County water is simply buying water via a pipe. A grocery store, for example, needs water for it's lavatory and to wash and clean the building.... but it is not a car wash. Water can be purchased by contracting with a water trucking service.... it's about the same price as buying water from the county. Not too big a deal.

Beyond that there are roads. There is power. Water can be obtained.

The real thing that is needed to bring services into HPP first off is zoning. That would inform the business community as to where they would be welcome. Local history is that Hilo forces have not wanted Puna to develop. The development plan for Puna basically consisted of three words: Drive To Hilo. So the politics needs to change. The Puna Community Development Plan starts that process. Now we need a mayor and council to keep it going.

The second thing is simple free market economics. The entrepreneur would need to determine that there was sufficient population and demand for their goods to make the proposition profitable. This is of course the most important. But without zoning decisions the investors will go where they know where they are welcome and Hilo has been preventing that in Puna.

This does lead to why I am supporting Angel Pilago for Mayor. A straight line can be drawn between who our next mayor is and obtaining goods and services in Puna.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
A grocery store yes...but a town center with a credit union,a laudramat,a couple of restaurants, a center post office etc would probably need alittle more infrastucture than having their water delivered. They need good paved roads a water line and most probably bus service.

Tell me.... why doesn't the bus go into HPP (the third largest population center on the island with over 10,000 people)? Or for that matter any other subdivision along hwy 130? Why doesn't express mail get delivered into these subdivisions? The answer is substandard roads. And while HPP is slowly attempting to "resurface" some of these roads...its not enough to get county and government operations into the park.

Yes zoning is very important as a first step and you are right about Hilo not giving us that opportunity. That is why I also am voting for Angel for mayor. I know Billy is for development...but from what I've read and heard about him....Puna is not one of his top priorities.
The proposal for PMAR - Puna Makai Alternative Route - is underway. The EIS is launched. PMAR would go from Hilo directly to the commercial acreage in HPP. This won't happen tomorrow. It all takes time. But it is underway if supported by the next administration.

I, for one, would like to see HDOT take PMAR into it's calculations for improvement of Hwy.130. I think Puna should demand that HDOT grow up and find a way to work cooperatively with CoH so that, for the millions spent, the result serves Puna's interests well and uses taxpayer dollars wisely. I know, I know. Maybe too much to hope for but I think it's possible to force the issue.

If a village center in HPP needs more water than truck deliveries then sink a well.

With PMAR and a HPP Village Center bus service will indeed serve the area. USPS is a another matter - should be discussed separately.

Punaweb moderator
Damon - Have you worked with Rene Siracusa and the Malama O Puna to see what their suggestions are for beautification with native/indigenous and non-invasive plants?
KC - Good idea.

I've been watching this thread. It's unfortunate that I can only post 5 posts a day so I feel that my input is no longer welcome.

It's frustrating standing on the sidelines of something I'm actually involved in watching you all post about this... when I can't even get in the game...and I'M THE ONE THAT WILL BE HEARD if any of us at all.

I am beginning to really think we (the advisory board) our just pawns for the State.

I wouldn't doubt it if all this talk on this thread is hearsay and that contracts for this whole thing are already lined up.

It is an interesting read...but sitting on the sidelines is only frustrating me.[B)]

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
Damon I am going to ignore the complaint. No one has been heard more on this forum than you. You also have your own web site to use as you see fit.

You are welcome here within the established parameters. It is up to you to use your posts well or poorly. For example: responding to my post here would probably be best done directly to me if at all.

I am not known for being shy or adverse to stating my opinion and my average is just over one post per day - as are many others.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
Sunshine Law may not pertain to this Advisory Board.

More Here

Which in an essence could close the door on these meetings to only the Advisory Board Members.[Sad][Sad!]

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll
Maybe Kilauea will keep Puna rural? I thought the reason there was no development in Puna was because of the volcanic activity.

Lot of highway money is wasted in the name of "beautification".
Puna: Our roosters crow first

Tell me.... why doesn't the bus go into HPP (the third largest population center on the island with over 10,000 people)? Or for that matter any other subdivision along hwy 130?

I'd like to see feeder routes in the subdivisions. Wouldn't even need to be buses, passenger vans would probably do. The loop through Hawaiian Beaches already makes the ride into Hilo take FOREVER. If the bus went through all the subdivisions, the ride to Hilo would be three hours!