Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10
The Hilo Tsunami museum webcam was pointed at the sky before the site was too jammed to see it, so even if you would have been able to log on, it wouldn't have shown much. BJ Penn's website had a live web cam stream of someone carrying a video camera around. Hawaii News Now website had a nice webcam for awhile which had the Coconut island webcam. Great video coverage of the tsunami so we didn't have to go out to look at it.

There is still a lot of ebb and flow in and out of Hilo bay, but they seem to be downgrading the tsunami and things look like they will be back to normal by later today. I don't think there will be much damage unless things are extremely low lying. I wouldn't be surprised if there are new ocean channels cut in and around shore, but it doesn't look like any buildings will be damaged.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales." 
Kurt Wilson
Hi friends,

This is such a caring and helpful forum and community.

This is my first post ever on this forum. I am intending to retire to the Big Island and am coming to check the place out in June and July.

Tsunamis cannot win - not with so much compassion, offers of help and caring.

I hope to meet each and every one of you - one of these days.

My prayers are with you all.

Monty

“Since my house burned down,
I now own a better view of
the rising moon”
"Since my house burned down, I now own a better view of the rising moon"
Welcome to punaweb, Monty!

Interesting Footage of Coconut Island

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaTLMVxTzaE
Just curious.

Did anyone hear any warnings from aircraft, rather than the fixed warning sirens?
"Did anyone hear any warnings from aircraft, rather than the fixed warning sirens?"

Yes, there were coast guard planes which blew sirens as they passed. We did not hear the fixed tower sirens.

http://the-hroost.com
Ahhh, the marvels of the land. We saw the aircraft but didn't hear their sirens. We did hear the fixed sirens which was a surprise. Guess it's how the wind blows as we are further from them than you, Chele.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
Just for radioguy - as you probably guessed, I could find no evidence of any inundation at Kaloli Point, not a surprise really given the relatively small waves in Hilo Bay. Your property should be untouched!
A lady called Civil Defense this morning right after 6 am, complaining and cursing that the sirens woke her up. She was calling the people behind the setting off of the sirens idiots and other things. Interesting how people react differently.

dean
I found this series of photos of Hilo Bay at Coconut Island...it's a real good set of photos.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=12056721

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR