Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
Mahalo Carey,

aloha,
pog
... A N D Kelena for making me laugh ..

but you know what happens when you play FYA !

aloha,
pog
Ae. I do now, pog. Ahi wela......

What's the problem, Carey? I can't post that the sirens aren't going off and then leave?
We left the house before 9 pm and stayed the night at relatives in Volcano.
Yes, I evacuated. Of course. others also posted who are in evac areas (Kapoho)before they left. It's not ok with you that I post to say there were no sirens before I left?
I am very concerned that there are no sirens to hear for folks that do not have friends to call them, or have the CD text, email and phone calls. The request was to be out by 9:30. We left before 9 pm.
Again, criticism, and assumptions for what? Posting that there are no sirens to be heard on Kaloli Point.
I am sorry I ever posted my concerns because what I get is sarcasm ( see pog response) or assumptions from you Carey that I would not leave. Are you going to jump on the folks on Kapoho who also,posted during the evac before they left?
Sheesh, what a supportive group. I should have known better. This kind of post seems to happen very often.
Sorry I posted to share.
hawaiideborah
Deborah has a good point about vacation rentals. We visit here 2-3 times a year, usually in HPP, and have never thought about registering with the Civil Defense.
We are currently staying at 2nd and Paradise in HPP. The siren here was very faint. Fortunately our kind neighbor came by to alert us. And then the police drove by to announce the recommended evacuation. Here's to kind neighbors!!
I did NOT assume anything... nor did I identify anyone when I ASKED if the poster evacuated.... I did ask this because there are those who do/would not evacuate... I want each of us to think back - did you actions & posts offer help? Were you assisting anyone else?

I would hope that the owners/property managers of inundation zone properties would make sure there was notification for any of their clients...
Maybe this post may help some of them make the decision to sign up the vacation property phone (and HAVE a phone) at the vacation rental to the county CD.

The county did send officers, CD personnel & Volunteer First Responders down into the inundation zones around the county, along with having helicopter fly around the island to notify as many as possible... much of the Hamakua Kohala, Kau and Puna coast DO NOT HAVE MANY COASTAL SIRENS...

If you buy here, that may be an important criteria, am I close to a warning siren & evacuation site... Some do check things like this before they buy in an rural agricultural zoned area that is clearly labeled on maps, signage and such as a Tsunami Zone.... some do not...

BTW - look at the age of homes in "the zone" in most of the Puna subdivisions... most are newer than the ones a few blocks back....now think: why wouldn't people in the early 50's through the sixties choose to build closer to the waterfront building sites?

Again, these are not just pocket change, (they cost thousands to tens of thousands EACH), plus installation, post, wiring, monthly signal checks, maintenance, electricity (and more wire, recent copper thefts have even targeted them, and the less the population density, the higher the theft potential...) and salt spray & wind DO effect them...so coastal areas with high salt spray are murder on them....who will anti up for the replacements???
OK, I've been sitting on this for a couple days, waiting for someone in the media to ask our Mayor a question:

Is a Honolulu radio station correct when they announced on the air (during the tsunami evacuation), that the Gov. had all the Mayors on a conference call in preparation of the tsunami, except one???

Apparently, the radio announcer stated Kenoi was the only Mayor they "couldn't get a hold of". WTH is the truth here, please?

It was on police scanners that he was down in HPP and would be coming up Kaloli.
hawaiideborah
Wow Deborah. Stereotype much?

Don't let a few bad apples spoil the bunch. I think you have to change your prospective's a bit when you come to the Big Island. If you want to live in a private subdivision or no county roads it's safe to say your probably not going to get paved road's, pipped water, mail delivery, High speed internet or to hear sirens blaring warning you of a high wave.

I saw on Oahu they had a small piper that had a siren attached to it and it would fly LOW around the shore line. Maybe that would be an option for (I almost said the state) haha The big island to look into. Make you could have TWO planes that would fly Puna side coast line and the other one could go up hamakua coast line to warn fisherman, divers, boats and people that can't hear a siren. For me I live a few streets from hawaiian beaches park and heard the siren loud and clear ... Probably would have woke me up. It did go off ... Rather late but better than nothing. I find it Ironic that Hawaiian beaches park is a mile out of the zone so why they need to have it sound is beyond me ... My neighbor got all freaked out and started filling 5 gallon jugs of water ... I told him relax it's (at the time) was suppose to be no bigger than 6' wave. We are over 200' above sea level. But still he packed up his **** and left for higher ground. I've been threw this in Waianae about 10 times and I was a lot lower. Probably around 80 or so feet.

People hear sirens and GO CRAZY!
The civil air patrol already flies tsunami alert missions throughout the state.