Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bring almost nothing when you move
I thought I asked, but can't find it... What do you all think of a property with a rental on it? Can one make any money? Are they more headaches than you want / need? Problems? Experiences? etc? We are hoping to get a property with a rental of some sort, 3-400 sq ft 1 bedroom maybe that we can let out for 70-80 bux a nite or better yet, 4-500 weekly to be able to afford a better home, and provide a little income, too. What is the scoop on this? Seems a lot of properties there have something like this already. I like this one. http://www.trulia.com/property/309829026...w-HI-96771
but my wife thinks it should be a separate building.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
There is a difference between a regular tenant rental (ie monthly basis) & a vacation rental (ie nightly basis)...in my mind, the biggest is tenancy issues (esp. how to break a tenancy if things are not working out... vacation rentals do not have the same landlord/tenant laws as regular tenant rentals)

If you like doing the catering to people thing, vacation rentals are a good alternative income, but you will work for it, and the more off the beaten path & away from the shore line, the more you will need to work to establish a client base & there is a very distinct drop n rates charged.... but you can make money at it, once that client base is established

Because of the landlord tenant code here.... I would not want to do a landlord thing here, but some do have very good luck with it... Be forewarned, the very few tenants from Hades can really turn into a nightmare here.... But, with a good long term tenant & a good structure with little needed upkeep, you will have a good chance of decent income...
I am more thinking the vacation rentals, weekly or even nightly, but I think I would have a 2 or 3 day minimum to make things a little easier.(no nightly changing of linens and dealing with money and contracts every day, etc.)Also, that way when friends come, we have a place they can stay to help defray costs for them.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Worried about lava zone 1 but moving into a tsunami zone? lava happens but you probably will have plenty of notice to get away from lava. Tsunami, not so much....
We are in a vbro.com rental and love it. Highly recommend it and be careful with your subdivision choice. We went with Leilani as it is one of the toughest divisions to live in and they don't have many falling down houses.
tsunami zone? It's at about 1000 ft! Halfway between Kurtistown and Mountain View.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
No bayfront dive hotel...
For a few weeks compared to years, decades, even... what are the odds?

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!
Risk of bed bugs way higher. :-)
I don't worry so much about lava, it's slow and predictable, so zones 2-3, not so bad. Zone 1, however is different. Being awakened by a volcano blasting thru my living room at 3 am without warning, that worries me.

comin' your way soon!
comin' your way soon!