Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
What effects are these? From GMOs that is, not pesticides. Two different things, you see. Reputable sources only, thanks.

For years I've been trying to collect a list of the victims of GM, to be put on a memorial. I've got nothing so far.
Can you give me some names and dates of death of these unfortunate people? Reputable sources only, thanks.
"Paul, care to consider the fact that reef is dying around Hawaii and Big Isle is seemingly the last oasis, or maybe how the EPA recently raised levels for pesticides in the environment? Hello Run-off."

What does this have to do with GM?
Very ironic that GM is constantly lumped in with pesticides when one of the goals of GM is to decrease if not eradicate the need for pesticides. It would happen a lot sooner if not for the pitchfork (or machete) wielding mob.
Umm.. McFly, they have create GMO plants that create their own pesticides, lmao. As mother nature has proven herself on this planet over the last 3.5 billion years, other plants/organisms will adapt and will then require even harsher pesticides.

It has to do with GMO 1. in the sense that Reef is also a living organism in the food chain (if not the most important- linking land to sea) surrounding our island, and 2. They have already been damaged through run of the mill industrial pollution and agriculture- I see no reason to up the ante and speed up the process.

I've relayed many points, not to be compartmentalized into straw-man arguments, but to show where environmental system stands now and how GMOs have no place in our bodies or economy serving only to expedite our environmental demise.

No worries, buddy, this debate is over, you can stop not making points now.

Living on the side of creation.
quote:
Originally posted by TeddOnBass

Aaron titled this thread "Big Island bans GMOs", which is NOT true. Read the article yourself.

I do not get "excited" when people spread misinformation...like Aaron has done. I am more concerned about truth than excitement.

Now, Aaron back-pedals and says "our county officials have taken the first step in banning GMOs"...when he actually titled this topic "Big Island bans GMOs". See my issue here? Maybe Aaron should retitle this thread.

Truth is where it's at, and the spread of misinformation is what is "sad". Let's all be more careful about the information we spread.

PS... I may even be on Aaron's side of the GMO debate (or not), that is not my point here. The truth is.

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

I'm sorry you folks aren't more excited that Big Island is a slightly safer and environmentally friendly place since our county officials have taken the first step in banning GMOs. Sad.

Wa, I bought on a dusty road and expected someone else to pay for paving it already. Wa.

I fully agree with you about misinformation and misspeaking. I stood corrected, you've quoted me on it. I am not fighting or arguing this fact you brought up. I change, self-corrected, and will carry-on how normal people learn and evolve from mistakes. I was not hiding nor negating it, merely excited to share this news.

This bill has passed the first step in our islands. What is a first step but the most important, my truth seeking friend?! Wink

Also, I didn't know I could change the title, but now that I know differently...I shall.

If I need more correcting, please I encourage it. But no needless banter or straw-man arguments picking apart a word or a reasonably insignificant contributing fact as the main meal.

I'm glad this bill has passed the first hurdle and really hope itgoes all the way.

I too would like to know why trolling is allowed in the anti-geo and anti gmo thread's and not allowed in others?
Who is being considered a "troll?"

Another reason I oppose this legislation is that it is very shortsighted. The plant I grow most, bananas, is threatened by Panama Disease 1, which is here, and race 4, which will get here eventually. We also have Banana Bunchy Top Virus. At the moment, there is no need to grow GMO bananas in Hawaii, but there is no doubt these will get worse here and not only make medium and large scale banana farming as exists here now impossible. It will also mean even home growers like myself will have to go back to eating imported bananas. However, if other plant genes confer resistance to Panama disease and BBTV, a way to save bananas in Hawaii would be to introduce those 2 genes. There are many banana cultivars that only exist in Hawaii, because they mutated slightly over time after being brought here by the first Hawaiians. They are far more susceptible to these diseases than most other banana cultivars. Many of them have already gone extinct. While they aren't native plants, they are very much like heirloom varieties of other plants. Is it better to simply let them go extinct instead of inserting 2 genes in them from other plants? This law will guarantee they go extinct here. Traditional banana breeding is horribly slow and cannot even be done for many varieties. FHIA in Honduras has spent millions of dollars and decades of research, and even now has only a couple dozen conventionally bred varieties available that are resistant, but not immune to specific banana diseases. A good example is what is going on with citrus in Florida. There are no plants that even show resistance, so the only option is GM, and in the meantime, massive amounts of pesticides are being used. Maybe Florida should just let them all disappear and begin importing citrus. That certainly seems a less sustainable option than inserting some other plant genes.

One of the arguments I have heard is that if you consume GM foods such as papaya and Bt corn you are consuming viral and bacterial DNA. That of course, is true but a ridiculous argument. Everything you eat has bacterial, fungal, and viral DNA on it, in many cases incorporated into the plant's own genome naturally. Human beings have possibly close to half of our genome being retroviral DNA. Bt is something spread on organically grown crops because it is considered organic. The organic greens I grow have traces of Bt because I use this approved organic pest control to control moth larva that otherwise destroy them. Certainly all the organically grown papaya here has the same ringspot viral DNA on it that has been inserted into GMO papaya.

The current legislation will severely restrict farming being viable here in the long term as various crops face new introduced diseases and pests. If it had been in place before papaya was saved, papaya farms would be gone. In fact people like myself who grow only non GMO papaya benefit from the herd-immunity effects of most of the papaya grown here being ringspot resistant due to GM technology.

The fight against the big agribusiness corporations is going to have the most impact if dealt with at the federal level. Why mess with long term sustainability of local farming and home gardening, while having almost no impact on these companies or their overall practices with county-level bans?
I agree with Robguz.
Very valid and pertinent points robguz - the anti-GM faction seems to want to live on a "Fantasy Island" where there are no diseases or pests introduced that could decimate local agriculture. I an very concerned that some of the kalo diseases that are working their way through Polynesia will eventually make it to Hawaii and, having prohibited any GM research on kalo, we'll have nothing to combat the new infestations that will wipe out the local kalo varieties. Which then will be the greater cultural loss? I guess that decision has been made - time for regrets after...