Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalapana Wednesday at Uncle Roberts!
You sure that they are charging for parking on the road? We've been going since it started (daughter was doing henna tattoos) and only have paid for the lot once or twice, never on the road. Our halau, Halau Na Wahine A Na Kane Punahele 'O Ka Pu'uwai often dances on the last Wednesday of the month when there is no class. It's a great time, good music, food, friendly folks, and no one bothered to talk to the haole guy who, having already danced Hi'ilawe, jumped up when da guys played it for us and he stood next to Kumu, dancing poorly. Oh well, what are you going to do except hope that people wise up, eventually. Respect goes both ways. We take the grandkids; the only problem is how loud the speakers are sometimes. And it is true that there is different attention from the man; when Puna passed away there was a full flowering plant as part of the display. So what? Hawaiians have been screwed with enough that I don't mind some getting a break.

I've never seen a hint of violence. And hearing Uncle Robert speak I know that he is for building community and safety nets as we face hard times coming. He is all for peace and his attitude is carried and spread.

The smoking area is on the parking lot side and no one smokes inside the venue. Since it is Puna I imagine that there is pakalolo being smoked along with the ciggies, but so what? And the family shut down the market when they learned that people were dealing and partying outside on the road and parking area. After that they stepped up security, which I'm all for, and I've noticed a few times a fellow or two walking the road and other areas keeping an eye on things.

I saw hippies out in the parking in a circle playing guitars singing hippie love songs and I thought about, but didn't, go over and say, "What the f-word are you clowns doing? You are on the Keliihoomalu family land, they are playing great Hawaiian music (and Jahwaiian, country, rock, raggae etc) FOR FREE right over there, and you are ignoring the music, culture and the party? Why don't you just slap 'em and tell them how cool you are?" Makes me want to stomp hippies and I am one!
I was just there. Dropped my glass pipe, no problem, there was more than one table selling pipes, 15 bucks later... Brand new pipe. Packed it up, fired it up and had a pretty good time as well as the other half that were smoking. I probably wouldn't bring my kids but, depends on how outgoing you are. I'd rather hang around with stoners than a bunch of drunks. Personal preference of mine.