Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane season 2016
gypsy69, our friends living in tents and shacks hope you are right. I know we will be checking in with a lot of people through the storm...
They wont be getting much sleep tonight for sure..
Randomq, The Shelter at Pahoa HS is open if your friends need more secure shelter. Pet friendly. (Carrier needed. ) It's in the new Gym, easiest access up the dump road.
Stay safe everyone!
See you on the other side of the storm.
The air is quite still, and the intermittent rainfall is minimal so far. The eerie winds are starting, then suddenly stop. Yet there is a calming breeze at the top of the palms trees, that are swaying... The perverbial "calm before the storm" is upon us. It may turn on a dime, or stay the course. Either way, it is comforting to know we are all going through this together...again.

As I wait for my oldest mo'opuna to come back from fishing (Deep sea, OMG. Damn kids!) with my son and their "kane" friends (testosterone flying all over the damn place...ugh! Sorry, OT. Tutu status), we prepare. Cooking, cleaning, filling water containers, frying SPAM (lol), and making ice.

We all take care of each other in these times, and I am so very thankful for all of our ohana here on PW. If nothing else, a wealth of information and suggestions. Mahalo so much.

This too shall pass...it always does, and we carry on. Mahalo especially to our first responders, and those who volunteer to serve our community (many right here on PW).

Mahalo ke Akua, indeed, Kenny. Mahalo for all you do. Be safe all.

JMO.
If you haven't already done so, please secure your pets. If the storm hits, they will be terrified, especially in thunderstorms. After events like this, we almost always hear heartbreaking stories of lost pets who ran away from fright, and some forethought could prevent it.

Thank you, as always, Opihikao, for your kind words. I especially like the "turn on a dime" concept!

My wish is for everyone, their pets, and their property to be safe and secure.
"The air is quite still, and the intermittent rainfall is minimal so far. The eerie winds are starting, then suddenly stop. Yet there is a calming breeze at the top of the palms trees, that are swaying... The perverbial "calm before the storm" is upon us. It may turn on a dime, or stay the course. Either way, it is comforting to know we are all going through this together...again."

Opihikao - the wind is pretty strong here, I would guess about 20-25 mph, occasional higher gusts. This is Kaloli Point so is quite exposed. It's just started to rain but it's only drizzle.
http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/w...+%2F24h%2F

dunno....... it's really starting to fall apart.....
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/hi/rb.jpg

According to my favorite view, the storm is breaking up as it moves south of the islands.
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

If you haven't already done so, please secure your pets. If the storm hits, they will be terrified, especially in thunderstorms. After events like this, we almost always hear heartbreaking stories of lost pets who ran away from fright, and some forethought could prevent it.

Thank you, as always, Opihikao, for your kind words. I especially like the "turn on a dime" concept!

My wish is for everyone, their pets, and their property to be safe and secure.

Aloha, Chunkster. Absolutely, spot on. Too often we hear of pets, who are like ohana to some of us, running and getting lost. Auwe! Mahalo for the reminder.

At our hale, dog is in, and when the mo'opuna and son get home, they're sleeping with the dog tonight! Damn kids! Ugh.[Sad!] (They did call to say, "Tutu/(Mom), we get one big Ulua, and two small kine Oio! We coming home now." For the love of God! (lol...I'm gonna kick their ass, and make "lomi Oio" for tomorrow while I'm lecturing them. [Big Grin] )

A little levity never hurts during times like this (since I know they are "terra firma", at this moment.)

Stay safe all. Aloha ahiahi.

JMO.

quote:
Originally posted by TomK

"The air is quite still, and the intermittent rainfall is minimal so far. The eerie winds are starting, then suddenly stop. Yet there is a calming breeze at the top of the palms trees, that are swaying... The perverbial "calm before the storm" is upon us. It may turn on a dime, or stay the course. Either way, it is comforting to know we are all going through this together...again."

Opihikao - the wind is pretty strong here, I would guess about 20-25 mph, occasional higher gusts. This is Kaloli Point so is quite exposed. It's just started to rain but it's only drizzle.

Mr. Tom, you folks over there made the news tonight (the coastline was shown, and WOWZER! Big waves, Sir!) Stay safe, and mahalo for the updates. The wind is picking up substantially now...refreshing, to tell the truth, for those of us with menopause...lol. (Sorry, trying to find the silver lining.)

JMO.

ETA: Gypsy, EricP and Kalakoa, thankfully, we are protected. For eons, our mountains have provided that "safety zone", to some extent.