Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major earthquake off Pacific NW coast
you see any flying around puna? I didn't. As I stated they already do that on Oahu. Most likely because of the size of the big island you'd need 10 planes to cover it.
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah

quote:
Originally posted by Carey

Deborah, HAVE YOU SIGNED UP FOR THE CD NOTIFICATION (I have mentioned this in past threads)

If you have not PLEASE do so! If you have already, did the notification work?

The County CANNOT supply sirens for each & every property owner... yes, by the ocean would seem to make sense, but there may be many issues that make it less viable, things link salt corrosion & background noise & wind such.... there are also areas that may have volcanic emergencies that may also be in areas that may not be good for siren installation....

PLEASE help the county by utilizing the services they offer for all of us, and remember, after listening to what happened out east just last night & watching the 3/1`1 tsunami live... when you live in an ocean flood zone, YOU MUST BE ABLE & READY TO MAKE SOME DECISIONS WITHOUT RELYING ON THE COUNTY TO TELL YOU WHAT RO DO....

Yes, I have been signed up for 1 1/2 years and it does work.
My post was that the sirens are not heard down on Kaloli Point. I learned not to rely on sirens after March 11 and am on the phone call list, text and email. I also let the neighbors know. However, there are folks who are on the beach paths night fishing with the full moon and there are vacation rentals. I am concerned that a siren needs to be on Kaloli Point. There are (illegal) fish camps on weekends often right near Kaloli. The sirens need to be heard down on the water and they are not heard.

As I mentioned the sirens did not go off here until almost 8:30 or 9 PM... By 7:15 PM the NW had mobilized (I think warning issue was 7:09 PM). As Obie said, people got notified by PEOPLE (NW, other neighbors. Obie's wife in particular drove around and checked each and every house to make sure, and then rechecked and rechecked until about 9:45 PM.) Sirens are good, CD emails and text msg good, PEOPLE are even better. Just check on your neighbor.

Lets be the neighbors that we want our neighbors to be.

And yes EricLp, they flew over us. Bout the same time as the PD rolled into hood before the sirens even went off here.

And one more thing, we are on Thurs as the NW has done in the past, will be Monday morning quarterbacking our actions on Tsunami day, trying to iron out any glitches, and working on the future. I suggest you all do the same thing.

Okay one one more thing... HD I dont mean to denigrate your situation but we are way closer to sea level and I think got it together pretty well for a group down here that usually fights about everything else. Maybe you should head up your block's "preparedness" and make sure than your block is ready. A small bite is way easier than a big bite.
Kapohocat has a good point, to which I would add that although it would be nice to have a siren on Kaloli Point, sirens are becoming of secondary or even tertiary importance with changes in technology. Both my smartphone and my good old fashioned not-so-bright phone (the one that has NEVER tried to drag me into the Matrix and shoot me with slow moving bullets) came through for me.

As mentioned, I was alerted first through Hawaii County Civil Defense on my smartphone and almost simultaneously by a Facebook friend via a push notification on the same phone. I then hopped onto the Pacific Tsunami Center and saw that it was true. Then a very nice friend (you know who you are!) called to check on me (mahalo!). And then I got another call or two, and shortly thereafter there was a little commotion in what is otherwise a very quiet neighborhood, including neighbors being unusually active, a helicopter raking the coastline with a big, bright, blinking light, and later, a squad car.

I felt pretty well notified. And, as Kapohocat mentioned, the siren came later and, news reports indicate, proved to be the weakest link in the notification system. I include friends and neighbors alerting friends and neighbors as part of that system. In retrospect, it might have been good to send out an e-mail message via our local neighborhood watch organization, PAKA (an organization which I named and which I started by the way, while I was still on the mainland, with a wonderful former neighbor, JoAnne, spearheading the local efforts). PAKA meanas peace, tranquility (or tobacco, which to some brings peace I guess. : )).

That evening really underscored for me the importance of friends and good neighbors. As I approach the end of my first year on the island, I am going to work on forging those friendships, on being nice and on being the kind of person people wish to be around, and on being a good neighbor.

I will do that in between times when I am not acting like an ungifted rock star who is doing everything possible to get thrown out of the hotel. : )
OK, I get it that sirens are "old school" technology when it comes to modern notifications. I get it that there are at least three or four other ways to get the word out. Just remember that we live on an island where not everyone stays plugged in electronically the way those of us who constantly post on blogs do. Not everyone even stays glued to their TV. I commend and admire Cat's Neighborhood Watch approach, but having spent three years in HPP trying to organize NW, I can't tell you how many people refused to participate. Ultimately, the first responders (police, fire, and volunteer) who went door to door were our last and best line of defense, and it seems they came through yet again. But here in a nutshell is perhaps the point that most of the critical posters on this thread are trying to make:

If our officials are going to say we have a siren system that works and is an important part of our warning safety net, it needs to work. It also needs to be present in the areas most likely to suffer a disaster, which in these parts would be the tsunami and rapid eruption overrun zones, regardless of whether those locations are in private subdivisions. Otherwise, they should remove them to avoid the cost and confusion.
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

OK, But here in a nutshell is perhaps the point that most of the critical posters on this thread are trying to make:

If our officials are going to say we have a siren system that works and is an important part of our warning safety net, it needs to work. It also needs to be present in the areas most likely to suffer a disaster, which in these parts would be the tsunami and rapid eruption overrun zones, regardless of whether those locations are in private subdivisions. Otherwise, they should remove them to avoid the cost and confusion.

Very well put. There are newer and louder sirens available also.
I have lived in a tsunami zone for almost 40 years and this is the first place I have not seen them really near the water. The posts about salt corrosion didn't keep Washington and Oregon from installing huge sirens right on the beach access roads. these were heard for a couple miles away. I moved from the Olympic Peninsula on the Washington coast. It was way more rural than HPP and yet they had many larger sirens. Wonder why they are not nearer the Puna coastline here.
Also, seems to me the county road right of way through Shipman would be a place a siren could go. I sure would think that is a needed area for one.
Yes, I did go door to door to let neighbors know and I received and made phone calls to make sur folks knew.
But as Jerry said, why not have a siren in the areas on the water? 1 1/2 miles away from the ocean is too far to hear the siren and if some of the fishers or hikers are out further than Kaloli Point they are even further away from that one siren up on 4th and Kaloli. Did that one even work? Seems like some people heard the one on 6th and Makuu, which is about 3 miles from Kaloli Point shore.
hawaiideborah
There is no right a way thru shipman
And there was an emergency planing group in HPP that was trying to get new sirens among other things until the BOD murdered it
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

And there was an emergency planing group in HPP that was trying to get new sirens among other things until the BOD murdered it

Does anyone know how I can contact this group to help? Thanks.
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena...

As mentioned, I was alerted first through Hawaii County Civil Defense on my smartphone and almost simultaneously by a Facebook friend...

And I got it the other way - 1st was posted on Damon Tucker's FB page and then I went right on the PTWC page where it had just changed from info to warning.

As much as people rag on Damon, he does a very good job of getting that kind of info out and about!

I (and many others) got notified way before any tacky Facebook page knew about it.
https://sslearthquake.usgs.gov/ens/
They're generally sent within 30 mins of the event.