Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ocean Entry Yet, Surface Flows in Royal Gardens
Thank you!

Enjoy the day! Ann

Back to blogging at
http://crazypineappledream.blogspot.com
Enjoy the day! Ann
Still no ocean entry; and the longer the tube stays inactive the chances of it filling again are decreasing (IMHO).

There is a significant surface flow, but more towards the west in Royal Gardens. It looks to be headed to Jack Thompson's house.

Stoneface
There's a good picture of just that on HVO's website. They said the house was still occupied, but I thought everyone had abandoned Royal Gardens a year ago.

Edited to correct spelling.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
anyone find this one liner in yesterday's hvo's kilauea update interesting?

"Five earthquakes beneath Kilauea were strong enough to be located along a south-trending delineation through south flank faults marking the end of the "slow earthquake" that appears to have occurred over the last few days; the previous event, June 17-19, 2007, was apparently triggered by the Father's Day east rift zone intrusion. We are continuing analysis of the 2010 event."
This quote from the usgs update caught my eye:

"The summit vent gas plume is moving to the south this morning; yesterday's plume was reported moving southwest in the morning but twisted around quicker than Linda Blair's head in the "Exorcist" so that it was moving to the north by mid morning."

Maybe someone up there has a sense of humor! If the lava isn't flowing as WE expect, then I would guess they are just trying to keep us entertained!

Royall

I thought that was kinda funny also, Daniel. I'm waiting for Pu'u O'o to start scattering boulders like hubcaps off Steve McQueen's Mustang in "Bullit".

[Big Grin]

Stoneface
...as long as we don't start comparing volcanic gas emissions to Cletus Klump in "The Nutty Professor"
Check out these amazing images of Royal Gardens from Wed.

http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/images.html
Those are interesting images. In retrospect and with the benefit of hindsight, this was not the best place for a subdivision, although it must have been beautiful. The volcano is changing right now. The ocean entry has stopped. The lava that was struggling to make it to the top of the vent within the vent in the summit caldera has abated. Pu'u O'o has developed a couple of very small, round symetrical (for nature) vents that glowed very brightly but which have now disappeared. What action there is appears to have shifted to the pali, but that changes day by day, too. What will she do next? Could she be preparing for a period of silence? Is the pause only to allow her time to reflect on where she wishes to express her steam and fire next? Is she about to burst a seam?