Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tsunami Alert - Friday 2/26/10
radioguy - I live on Kaloli Point. I'm still there but will be leaving soon. When I get back I'll report. So far it's a beautiful and very calm morning but the latest is the tsunami will get here just after 11am local time.

Feel free to drop me a line (via my profile) if you want me to check the street your house is on. I'll be happy to do that once I'm back.

Tom
Praying for everyones safety.

Dennis
We're in the tsunami zone in HPP which runs from the coast to 3rd street, I believe.
All is calm so far. We're intending to go to the HPP Community Center. I don't know if it'll be open but if not we'll stay in HPP as long as we can and go to Pahoa if we have to.

The alarm went off at 6am and again at 7am. Actually it's reassuring to know that those sirens are very loud. When they test them once a month we have trouble hearing them, but not today!

The neighbors all seem to know.

Anyone know if they've put up roadblocks in HPP yet?
Thanks Tom. I really appreciate your help.

I am hearing reports on CNN that the size of these waves are not as big as previous events. so that is good news.

For those of us off-island, I find that KITV has a pretty good live feed: http://www.kitv.com/index.html

The Tsunami Museum webcam is down. Probably too much traffic.
for you in LA, you might do better than CNN by following Hawaii New Now. The local news teams have been up all night and are sharing the real scoop, unlike CNN and Fox.
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/

Yes, Hilo is being evacuated as far as the evacuation zone, which you can see in your phone book and online at the site I linked. There are police manning all the routes. The news says that evacuation routes will be locked down at 10 am on Oahu, probably similar here.

Honoli'i is an evacuation zone despite the bluffs, so I hope Devany is evacuating if at home although seems unlikely it would get up to her house.

Historically, bays, harbors, coves funnel the tsunami energy and intensify it. Kaloli Point shouldn't be especially vulnerable. Hilo Bay, Honoli'i, Laupahoehoe, Waipi'o, Kawaihae, are not good places to be.

About the stores - there was little aloha in Walmart. People were barging in the line to take cuts. I really hate that kind of behavior. Everyone is waiting and wants to get out, so respect the line, people. Just so you know, the gas stations have big lines.
Our hearts and thoughts are with all of you! Be safe.

Ron and Barbara Taylor

Hawaii Dreaming
Hawaii Dreaming
Am putting together a team of guys to do some quick repair. We've got gensets and all necessary tools. If you're in need, don't hesitate to call, 315-3335. First come first serve, of course.

Good luck, all. This sounds like a bummer.

http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/
Like Obie around the corner from us, we are getting ready. Thanks to every one who has called and offered to help us pack up, and some where to stay. We are at 11 ft elevation here.

Having been through this drill before, we have packed our 3 day bag, got the cats rounded up and unhappily in their carrier. Making a another pot of coffee before we venture out.

As I told our friends who offered to help us move everything in the next two hours or so, we don't have anything of such value to risk life or limb for. As long as kitties are ready, we are ready.

All Robert's best toys are on job sites anyway. Taking the lap top. Life is good. See you tomorrow!

PS I hate CNN - we got msg from CD last night - knew we needed a good nights sleep and calls from mainland family and friends started at 3:30 AM!! haha

Robert says only in Hawaii do you get 15 hrs warning on a natural disaster -- he is from tornado alley!
Traffic report for Highway 130.

The WikiWiki Mart gas station at Orchidland drive has traffic backed up onto 130 in both directions. Also, the gas station in Pahoa near the Malama Market has long lines with traffic backed up in both directions on 130. The traffic was pretty much on the shoulders or turn lanes so folks could still get by as of 20 minutes ago.

See you in the surf