Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You all don't know how good you have it there...
Personally I would love to have it here. That way, the West coast would always be only two hours difference (when it is 3, I have to be more strategic about calling there), and the sun would set at 8pm in the summer instead of 7pm. It's the single worst thing for me about having moved here. On the mainland, for at least a few months of the year there is ample time to do things outside after work because of later sunsets. I've love an extra hour to go to the beach, go on a hike, or do some gardening after work.
Rob, the sun would also rise an hour later, so the 'extra' hour in the evening would be taken from those morning people.... (mind you, many of my neighbors are up walking at 4:30 am... and the Spoiled Rotten Dog must alert me to this fact EVERY morning....So at least in my neighborhood, morning comes before sunrise...)

We got lazy in the last decade or so before we moved, with so many clocks in the kitchen & office, I think that we had some on DST, some were on standard & the rest went on & off with every electric outage (we had them almost weekly) so we just got into their little blinkings... time was, and still is, totally relative....(I seem to be more related to old man time every year...)
Years ago, on the mainland, I LOVED Daylight Savings because once a year it gave me a 25 hour day to live to the fullest. Just like flying east to west gives you "free" hours. I know, I know, it's only an illusion, but leave me to my denial. [:o)]

However, here in Hawaii, I do take issue with those people who live in the Eastern time zone who think they are the center of the universe & that it's ok to call anywhere in the world when it's convenient for them. [Sad]
Ugh - this is a very sore topic for me. When I moved from New York to Indiana, amidst the many disappointments (no ocean! hideous tap water! you call this pizza?! tornado!!) I was thrilled to say goodbye to DST. When DST was put into effect here (sob!) I began referring to it as "stinking bonehead loser time change" (SBLTC) and my family has picked up the jargon, to my great amusement [Big Grin]

I generally keep a clock or two on EST year-round as an act of protest, including the one in my car. However, every time I bring my vehicle in for maintenance the clock gets reset by the helpful mechanics who must be rolling their eyes at how I am so clueless that I can't figure it out on my own.

Sigh - I will be thinking fondly of Hawaii and your steady reliable Standard Time when I am robbed of a precious hour of sleep tonight and begin a week of jet-lag.