Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BP Gas...
This is really sad. I sincerely hope no other area will suffer as the Gulf Coast waters and Gulf Coast areas are suffering.

I am far from perfect. When we bought our Prius it was to replace our 15 year old vehicle which was no longer dependable. We still have a 21 year old truck. Our next vehicle (which we will purchase when needed) will hopefully be an electric or equally efficient vehicle.

I don't think I will be responding anymore. I just felt that what Carrie had to say was important, and I admired her for taking a stand.

As it is depressing enough seeing the devastation around me, I choose not to further torment myself by reading posts which fail to contain even an ounce of compassion.

Enjoy your day in paradise.
Wendy!
On this forum we are required to "keep it Puna".I think that is the reason you didn't get much response.I hope that one day when you move to Hawaii you will be able to recover from this nightmare.
Good luck with your move!
With the costs of imported (to Hawaii) oil/gas and the resulting electricity costs, it may be impossible to recoup costs and maybe even foolish to buy an electric vehicle on the islands.

Forcing Hawaii stations to sell ethanol-blended fuels is another stupid idea. Not only do we import (to Hawaii) the gasoline, but we have to also import the ethanol to blend with it. Ethanol contains less power (in the form of BTU's) than a comparable amount of straight gasoline.
What this means is that your vehicle will get approximately 10% fewer mpg while running the ethanol blend than if it was running straight gasoline. (epa.gov) That further increases the costs here in Puna, not to mention burning even more fuel just to get the fuel here.

ps - ethanol also uses huge amounts of electricity to produce
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy

Our next vehicle (which we will purchase when needed) will hopefully be an electric or equally efficient vehicle.
Efficient is wonderful so long as you are honest with your goals. As I said, my Tahoe beats oil consumption over your Prius and that's a scientific fact that can't be argued. On the mainland if we both traveled 10,000 miles, you would consume about 286 gallons of fuel derived from oil, I would only use 108. So in that regard, I would be doing more to reduce my need for oil. On Hawaii the numbers are not so good. I would require 714 gallons of gasoline to your 286.

If people would take the time to be honest about what they are trying to achieve; the lower cost for fuel or the lower consumption of oil, the means to accomplish each would be different, And, consumers would not be so easily deceived through clever marketing of things like hybrids.

Ironically, Blue Earth Bio Fuels on Maui probably addressed this best. They said that Maui can produce enough biofuels to meet the demands on that island. The technology is there, the resources could be obtained locally, the equipment is available and the infrastructure could be built. But nobody wants to invest any money until there is a demand, but you can't get the demand unless the services are available, but you can't get the services until they see a demand and you can't get the demand unless.... and the wheels on the bus go round and round....

The Big Island of all the main islands, is in a unique position to follow the footsteps of other Pacific Island nations by reducing (not just slowing down the increase in usage) the need for petroleum based fuels if they had the willingness (and guts) to buck conventional thinking and just say we are going to do it. But it is so much politically easier to just follow the crowd and blend in instead of forging their own path.
Aloha Wendy.

I am so sorry that you have to see that devistation first hand. There aren't words to share about what's happening with this oil surge.

You are welcome here anytime. All you have to do is have an interest in Puna or Hawaii. There are many people on this Forum who have less of an interest in Puna than you do. E Komo Mai.

Carrie

P.S. Bob, where do you get your figures? Tony's a Toyota Tech and we're wondering how is it possible a Tahoe could outbeat a Prius in fuel consumption whether on the Mainland OR here in Hawaii. Sounds interesting - please explain.

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy...
As it is depressing enough seeing the devastation around me, I choose not to further torment myself by reading posts which fail to contain even an ounce of compassion...

Although I have much compassion for the areas affected, and I too have friends there working to save wild life, I can not go to help so I think what this thread was about is finding ways to be part of the solution not part of a very large problem. I think every one who answered is affected and has concerns.

Hybrids are the current bandwagon. But to get a real picture, you need to take it from step 1 in mfg, to the last step of disposal at the end of its life cycle.

Carrie's thoughts on a boycott was a compassionate response and people pointed out the ramifications to our friends and neighbors. So what can we do in Puna, on the Big Island, in the state of Hawaii other than boycott? We can make wise knowing choices based on trying to be compassionate.

Dont believe for a second that just because our heart is not on our sleeve that we do not have hearts.

Well put, Cat

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident