Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pahoa crosswalk - Thank you Fred Blas
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Not through Wa'a Wa'a and past Honolulu landing it isn't.

Carol

Rob is correct. "Red road" is considered the stretch from the 4-way junction (pahoa/kapoho road intersection) to kalapana. The paved portion goes north a bit and ends past the mail boxes at Koae.

http://www.hawaiihighways.com/photos-Red-Road.htm
OK, I got the name for that stretch of road wrong, but the people who live there still don't want it paved, and the tour companies still do want it paved so they can bus tourist through there for a fee.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
who cares ... Pele will be paving the road and the neighbors anyway. Back to the subject. Sounds good! Hope to see more improvements in the future.
Sorry to bring this controversy to this forum BUT the the assertion that "people" don't want Beach Road between Hawaiian Beaches and Papaya Farms Road paved is incorrect. Unless I'm not considered "people". I like most of my neighbors most certainly want to see the road paved at least on the waawaa subdivision end. Unless you live in this area and must travel that "romantic" road on a daily basis probably have different interpretation of what constitutes romance.

I am increasingly irritated by the arrogance of those who speak for the "people" and this forum seems highly populated with this category. The many residents of Hawaiian Beaches whose most direct access to Kapoho, Pohoiki, and the "warm ponds" is this road, are also "people". The biannual maintenance by the county is a major expense paid for by the "people". Those of us who want it paved are also "people".

I respect your right to your opinion but, as must be obvious, there are other, ....... opinions and "people" as well. As the duly elected council person for lower Puna, Fred Blas needs to represent, or try to represent, all the "people". And like him, those of us who differ in regards to paving the road shouldn't be demonized for that attempt.

I'd sure hate to see the Kalapana roller coaster taken away! I LOVE driving that part of the red road!
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I was basing my statement on multiple conversations with friends who live there, who chose that area to live in many years ago (in two cases decades ago) and did so knowing the road was not suitable for easy daily commutes. They wanted to live in a remote and peaceful part of Puna without a lot of traffic. Those "people" have expressed frustration with other "people" who have more recently moved to one of the most remote parts of Puna, and now want an easy commute to work and recreate. They have expressed specific concerns that paving that stretch of road will lead to higher density development bringing permanent negative changes to their neighborhood.

I am not sure where in this thread anyone was "demonized" in regards to discussing paving that road, but Jlooked was, in his or her own words, demonizing "the arrogance of those who speak for the "people" and this forum seems highly populated with this category." Elected officials do have an obligation to listen to all "the people" but when there are diametrically opposed opinions on an issue like this one they will not be able to make everyone happy. They can either listen to those who want their neighborhood to stay the way it was when they moved there, or to those who now want to change it by paving the road, but either way someone will be very unhappy.

An added twist is the fact that the tour operators have been quite vocal about wanting to be able to take their vans through there, but do not want to do so now because they have to drive too slowly, and it is too hard on their vans to be profitable.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If the section of road is paved, one lane only and no mango trees are cut, the beauty of the road will be maintained. Pohiki road was done this way and there were no signifcant changes in the neighborhood. For those of us that have lived here for over 20 years, who need to work, who substain themselves without welfare or pot sales, are tired of our cars being wrecked, near head on accidents, trash, falling limbs and coconuts. The above text reminds me of "we have it so we don't want anyone else to have it."
This is an evacuation route. The blind hills, and terrible potholes serve no one.
You live in Hawaii, get use to tourists.
Fred Blas is a good guy, He does not deserve to be downed by someone who does not know what they are talking about. Get the facts before you speak.
This is an interesting thread - If you wanted to live in a remote area, would you move on a County connective right of way between two major pre-developed land regions that have no other connective within miles? Could you seriously expect your desire to keep it remote to contain any merit when the inevitable time came to improve the connective? No need to answer the questions, it’s just something to ponder. I don’t live on the Beach Road and didn’t want to live on it just because of the above questions I asked myself.

I do happen to live here in Waa Waa and know the feelings here on the subject are divided and that’s inclusive of old timers too. Those for road improvement are not just the new people who have moved here, it’s divided across the board and many new people likewise don’t want improvements. I personally have mixed feelings on the subject. At the same time I see a need for our little community of people down here to get together so perhaps we can help shape the inevitable and keep the tranquility that we all value so much down here. I see no need to use asphalt on the road but I can see why an improvement is needed. I’m ok with the use of a tree sap based chip-seal road media and I know some opposed to road improvements are ok with chip-seal also. Chipseal roads are far less expensive compared to asphalt and would provide a better medium for such an improvement in this environmentally sensitive area.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
I find it troubling that a thread to thank Fred Blas for his good works for helping the people of Puna get things done like crosswalks gets subverted to trying to bring him down through baseless allegations of decisions based on personal business interests.

This seems motivated by partisan interests in paving the Honolulu Landing / Waa Waa road. Let's have intelligent discussion without mimicking so many of our government leaders - they are hardly role models. Perhaps this road issue would best be served in a new thread that deals in facts about the road; not in personal opinion and unsupported so-called "facts".

Fred Blas has been selflessly helping Puna for years; lets not stoop to mean tactics to further our own agendas at his expense. Puna needs more people like him not destroying those few that we have.

If we preach aloha we should live it.