Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun question
The laws are set up to discourage gun ownership, only bureaucracy should have them.
My experience. I sold most of my firearms before I left the mainland. I brought a few with us including two handguns. I understood that you have three days to take to the police station in Hilo. I shipped my stuff in an ABF Relocube, which took quite a while to be delivered.The cube arrived on a Friday, and I took my firearms in the following Monday morning and was the first one there. A super nice lady helped me through the steps and it was totally painless.I had all but one firearm in a case, and wrapped that one up in a big towel, as I didn't have enough cases.

I had got the idea that one would have to take some class if you had a handgun, but nothing was said about that and I didn't ask. I had had a carry permit in Washington State for like 35 years. I have heard that, although technically Hawaii law says a citizen can obtain a carry permit, realistically you will never get one.I have no intention of even trying to get one here. I carried a few times in Wa. State as I worked in a very tough area and opened at 4:00 am by myself.

In theory I am not for registering firearms with the state. Any firearm I bought was bought from a dealer so is already registered with the Feds and easily traceable. But I am also law abiding and would not have been comfortable with sneaking a gun by without registering here.

I may get one of those expandable batons as where I live there are some pretty vicious dogs that may try to remove your leg should have the gall to ride a bicycle or jog or walk down a street. And since I intend to ride or walk wherever I like on the streets here in HPP, and I don't intend to take on a pit bull empty handed, that leaves me having to come up with another way.

My daughter is staying with us and gets in some ugly encounters with dogs when jogging.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Does anyone know the rules for other stuff - batons, mace, knives
My understanding has always been no concealed weapons.
LOL, you cant conceal a knife?
If the older gent that was assaulted here a little while back would have had one of the expandable batons, or even a "Kubaton", he may well have fought off his attackers. Sounds as if he had one of them on the ropes bare handed, then the other bad guy jumped in.

Jon

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Afwjam, I know the law specifically mentions pocket knives. A pocket knife is defined as a knife blade that folds into a handle. Possession is misdemeanor.
Birdmove, I think you also have to look at the other side of the coin. If the man's attackers had had knives or a folding baton, he probably would have been far worse off. I do think that although we have violence most realize that they are on an island and are more likely to get caught than on the mainland. The fact that penalties seem to be fairly light for assault without a weapon and far more severe with a weapon, acts as a strong deterrent. Hawaii has the lowest incidence of weapon crime of all the 50 states. Just my opinion, and bear in mind that I respect opposing opinions, the fewer handguns brought here the better. The fewer here, the fewer can wind up in the wrong hands. That said, I have carried a rather large, nasty, Crocodile Dundee kind of knife in my car. I keep it in the open and don't usually carry it with me. I have had extensive training in knife fighting and I can tell you that in a true knife fight there are no winners. Mine is strictly a deterrent to violence for when I am feeling particularly paranoid. I am not perfect by any means.
quote:
Originally posted by jackson

Afwjam, I know the law specifically mentions pocket knives. A pocket knife is defined as a knife blade that folds into a handle. Possession is misdemeanor.

I don't see anything forbidding pocket knives in the following text, unless something has changed. Dirk or Dagger is not a pocket knife.

http://knife-expert.com/hi.txt
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session200...SB126_.HTM

The site you cite ( Smile ) must be out of date.
Jackson

I believe that is a bill that was introduced that didn't pass.

HRS can be found here

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent...D/HRS0134/