Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, I am now over the rain. Ready for sun.
Belated Happy Birthday, hawaiideborah.

Last night, I was awakened by the rain on several occasions. It is still a little startling in its ferocity. I resolved again to find the overflow on my catchment, presuming there is one. I do feel like I am getting acclimated, having been caught in a shower two days in a row. I now have a small umbrella or poncho with me all the time.

There needs to be a poncho that keeps you dry but cool at the same time.
quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

quote:
Originally posted by hawaiideborah

Just back from 3 days in the warmth and sun....

Where did you go? Seattle????? J/k. [Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin][Big Grin]

[Big Grin] good one.
Just heard from friends at the Washington coast. They are having a very warm and dry winter this year.

We went to Kona. Love the weather and beaches there, but nothing else. There are so many tourists and lots of traffic. But the sun and warm weather was a great break. [8D]
Went to Puako, Wawaloli, Kahalu'u and Honokohau.
hawaiideborah
quote:
Originally posted by Kelena

There needs to be a poncho that keeps you dry but cool at the same time.

Ya, I use the "pit zips" on my rain jacket a lot, but still gets wet inside the back when I work up a small sweat walking. Seems like they could invet a rain cover that is good for exercising where you don't get condensation inside the jacket/poncho.

Bring Mindy by to meet the big puppy when she gets here.[Smile]
hawaiideborah
While we complain but too much rain, the people who haul water only are really suffering. They have gone about 7 weeks probably with no one needing a drop.

Must be hard for Christmas, having made no money since probably beginning of November, and no idea when it will end - a few days, another month?

quote:
Originally posted by Kapohocat

While we complain but too much rain, the people who haul water only are really suffering. They have gone about 7 weeks probably with no one needing a drop.

Must be hard for Christmas, having made no money since probably beginning of November, and no idea when it will end - a few days, another month?

Don't know any people who haul water for a living, but if this is their sole source of income, it must be tough at other times, too. The rain we are experiencing isn't that unusual. It would seem that they would need a second income source to survive. I don't think the whole island is wet. Couldn't they be hauling to Kau or other dry areas?
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
several forcasts show this weekend and early next week looking good... hope so
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” " Krishnamurti "
I'm gonna be in Puna in 20 more days. If anyone sees a young-20-ish kid with no tan at all running around in the rain like a madman, that's me. New England is coooooooooold.
Moving to Puna!
re water haulers: Luckily the water haulers do more than fill catchment tanks (as that would be a boom & bust economy). There are many areas that need county tested water for a number of reasons, including commercial interests that are not on the county water system, and 1/2 of the island is still dry...including many that homes & businesses that are not on county... there are even specially equipped water trucks that must supply the observatories with water....the most expensive water runs on island, I think.
here is what I am doing to combat the rain, building a much bigger covered lanai. I spent some time on my uncle's lanai the other day while helping him out with some chores. It was delightful because the lanai he has built is 20 ft. x 24 ft. It has half walls and is completely covered. Even in the downpours you don't get wet. He has always had his tv out there and a couch.
So, I have started to widen the 28 ft. long lanai I have. I hope to get it to 15 feet wide so that it is a comfortable room even in the rain. I love to be outdoors and the option to be on the lanai is a good one for the rain.
Yes, it has rained a lot of days in a row, not a record as everyone has pointed out. It could very well turn into a near record if we were keeping track of the daytime rain. often it rains in the night and we count that, but for number of days were it has rained every day in the daylight hours this has gotten up there.
stay dry.
This ought top help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXvJ8UquYoo

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident