Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burial in HPP
Interesting topic,our new neighbors that we haven't met yet in Nanawale, always had a grandma sitting out under the carport reading a book whenever we drove by, we always waved at her as we drove by. Noticed we hadn't seen her in a while, and last week a very large concrete cross appeared in the corner of the yard, looks like it has an inscription of some sort on it. Kind of makes me sad we never stopped and introduced ourselves to grandma.

Take time to smell the roses and visit with grandma, life shouldn't be so hectic.....

Aloha - Dot
Composting of livestock mortalities is increasingly becoming an accepted method of disposal of carcasses as large as cows and horses. The proper technique requires a sufficient bed of absorbent woody material under the carcass to absorb body fluids, sufficient cover with compostables over the carcass, and a roof to prevent leaching of the decomposition fluids beyond the compost heap. This would actually be cleaner than what we do when we put sewage into a cesspool. Just an old fashioned burial would be no worse than the cesspool as long as sufficient cover was achieved.

Point well taken AlohaSteven about dead bodies and surface water. Sounds like the composting gurus agree, hence the absorbent bed and roof.
Perhaps having catchment is preferable to having a well if you are downslope from some body.
Putting in a well at my other place - dealing with the requirements among which is distance from a cesspool - 100ft minimum per the feds.
may apply here -

RIP:
I like the idea of me and woof side by side in the back forty when the party is over - grin
No wells in HPP......check.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Sure you can have a well in HPP (or anywhere else - we're all downslope from some-body), if you want. Just treat the water.
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

No wells in HPP......check.

Wrong. There are plenty of wells in HPP.
I own some property on Beach Rd. dead end off Kaloli. On makai side of this long block my neighbor drilled a well as recently as one year ago.
They've been burying people in lava tubes around here for hundreds of years
When I was looking for property in HPP, the information I got from my realtor and others was that wells are a viable option on Kaloli Point because there is a good likelihood of hitting water, but not the rest of HPP. But there is nothing "pure" about the water with the cesspools in the area.

Artesian well water is amazing, but you won't get that here. We had an artesian well in the desert foothills (when I was in high school), and it was a thousand feet deep. Fantastic pure water, but very hard, lots of mineral content.

I wonder that there aren't more wells here. Anyone know the reason why catchment is the popular method?

To Seeb -- yep, I mentioned the lava tubes. Why drill through rock when Madame Pele has left natural subterranean vaults?
Derailling a little more...Until one of our Punawebbers came here with his awesome drilling rig, most who wanted a well had only the deep drill rigs guys to go to, and at a very high cost.

Those who are at a low enough elevation to use the new rig have a much less daunting cost to drill than in days before the DD crew moved here, and the costs for catchment (including roof choices) are now closer to the well costs.

RE: Artesian wells water is here.... and there are also perched wells that are artesain... most of Kona has relied on these...