Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bringing Firearms When Moving to B.I.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Why never shoot to wound?

Because if you are thinking that you only need to wound, then the situation was not serious enough to use the gun. Anyways under the stress of such a situation most people could not aim so accurately, so you need to make the shots count.

“Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms.”
-Ron Paul
http://www.handgunclub.com/hca/?p=1393
nice article Big Island Bound, it supports afwjam's and my own:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
quote:
I meant that if you were scared for your life, that if you shoot, you shoot to kill. Never shoot to wound. You need to be prepared and trained physically and mentally to use a gun. Its dangerous bring out a gun if you aren't prepared to use it. Basic defensive gun training. Its dangerous to own a gun and not train with it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why not just shoot to injure and scare away you ask PaulW - if the intruder is of that kind of idiot criminal intelligence, do you think when he gets done paying the time for his crime he is going to forget about you and your family? No he will be back and this time he will be a smarter criminal, putting to use the criminal education he got from his fellow criminal jail peers! ;D

Afwjam - thanks for thinkin we are like minds and should hang out! When we get to finally make it over there we are hoping to find good people with local knowledge of hunting, fishing, gathering, self sufficiency, ingenuity born from lack of $ or materials - these are the kind of folk I want to learn from!

Here is another story for ya all Smile
24+ years ago while sitting along side a creek in a very quiet out of the way park, and also being 9 months pregnant mind you... I was busy in my sketch book while soaking up the tranquil beauty and warmth from the sun. My faithful beautiful protective male German Shepard laid against my side giving me comfort, peace, love and SECURITY Smile

After a good while there I noticed my boy lift his head and look up stream. Not wanting to be noticed myself that something or someone had been detected I carefully glanced through the side of my eyes the same direction to see 2 young men in sneak mode and crossing the stream to my side. They were obvious in the fact they had seen me alone and to this day I am not totally sure what the outcome may have been without my beautiful protector Solomon.

Since they had crossed to my side of the creek and my always conscience alert to danger and protection, and also my stubbornness to stand my ground enjoying my sunshine and artistic solitude - I decided it best to quickly snap Sol's 10' leash on place my hand in the hold loop and secure the portion just past the hand loop under my hiney for extra holding power. I knew from his protectiveness , and depending on the type of stranger approach we were about to encounter Sol's reaction could be or appear extremely vicious.

I didn't have a weapon, although I quickly grabbed a creek stone semi heavy and with a sharp edge, stuffing it under the edge of my sundress. Very shortly after taking those precautions, the 2 young men came out of a thicket of brush about 30' away from us. They were holding very large thick sticks and using them in a club like manner. Not saying a word to me but swinging the clubs in a threatening manner while still silently proceeding towards me.

Of course by this time Sol was up ferociously barking and showing his beautiful long canines ;D. It was all I could do to hold him back, it was quickly becoming apparent that I was not going to be able to hold him back due to the guys continued actions.

I pointedly then asked what the heck are you doing and what do you want??? The one closest to me, now only about 15' away said we just wanted to see what you were doing... I proceeded to tell them that if that was all they wanted they would have been smarter to approach in a friendly manner, stating hello and telling me they were curious about what I was doing! A much smarter approach than acting like young punks looking to be trouble!!! I also said I was sketching. The closest guy while continuing to hold the club now swinging it a little slower asked if he could see what I was drawing. I held it up to show him as his partner moved closer still clubbing threateningly.

Solomon continued to issue grave warnings and was straining at his leash which he had pulled out from under me and my arm was extended/stretched as far out as Sol could get. This pregnant little girl was holding on to it for dear life more concerned that Sol would become quarantined if he attacked! Finally I realized Sol was my angel of undying love and protection over me. As Sol was in total freak out stage and the guys were not seeming too phased or freaked just continued pushiness, I said in the most calm voice I could muster, "look if your intent is to do harm I am very pregnant, my dog is in protect me mode. If you are smart both of you will drop those clubs right now and back off and leave the park and leave us alone now that you have seen and been told what I am doing. There are 2 of you, and yes only one of me, but I have a faithful large protective dog beside me, he is my weapon. I will not be able to hold his leash much longer due to your threatening actions and being pregnant, I do not have the strength to keep him from acting upon his sense of danger towards me. I know that there are two of you and you have clubs, and my dog may get hurt, BUT i CAN GUARANTEE you that if I can no longer hold him back one or both of you will end up with severe injurys or dead from your throat being ripped out! You had better leave now!

Clubs immediately fell to the ground and a quick retreat was made with complaints of "well we only wanted to see what you were doing"!!! Well if that the case their approach was totally wrong!!! Sol came quickly to my side his tail wagging proudly and kisses to my then tear stained and strained face Smile He was and always in my heart will be my hero for so many more reasons than just that one instance! I know he is waiting for me on the other side of this life with a big stick in his mouth ready to play! Smile

This topic has been all about guns and if we the general public should own them. Even though I do and will continue to own and use in a knowledgeable safe manner to hunt or target shoot and defend myself if needed, so many more things can be used as a weapon of defense or of intent to harm. Taking guns away from citizens will not resolve the problems of violent crimes - it will just change them to a much uglier scene of violence. There will always be some instrument of harm easily at hand.

For those of you who state Hawaii is different come in peace and aloha - I am sure that is mine and others total intent to hopefully find that utopia and become part of it, but hopefully we still keep our senses honed to the crime obviously on the island. It is not all the land of milk and honey, green pastures, and peaceful loving harmless drones!!

KathyH - I did get it, and knew that you were serious, and made effort to post in a more friendly readable manner. Apologies for the wise crack that followed, it is just the first time I had encountered in a forum, the need to perhaps use proper writing techniques to be taken somewhat seriously and speaking with some intelligence. I have become lazy in the Technic pc age when it comes to conveying my thoughts. In the past I have been in employment that required me to edit documents and text of legal forms and various communications for proper formatting etc. It just surprised me that it was a perceived issue since my opinions were not being read due to solid blocks of text. You are correct, even in an open forum, decorum of speech and conveying it properly will most likely get noticed and perceived in a more positive light. I thank you for your tip. Hopefully that tact will assist in my believe-ability rather than insults and belittlement for expressing myself per the constitution of my rights of free speech and to bear arms!

Peace, and face the sun so the shadows will fall behind you Smile
islandgirl
Why tell people you don't know, what kind of guns you have. Don't do that.
quote:
Originally posted by myomy

It is Sunday and there are 140+ postings on this thread. Amazing. Talk about wasted bandwidth.

I agree!
It's now Wed and there are 13 pages devoted to this.
Is life so boring in "Paradise" that this is all you have to do?
My intent was not to stir up a free-for-all, but only to solicit information.

Although, I admit most of the participants do seem to be having fun with this.
If so, continue on.
I'm off to other things.

Thanks to those that did offer information and advice for the questions asked.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
Firearms are potent objects of power; someone who picks up a gun instantly alters his status and relationship to those around him. They provide a quick fix for those feeling profoundly impotent and without recourse.

Guns have become such strong symbols of violence and supremacy that it is much easier to talk about firearms regulation than to talk about the complex social and racial issues in this country, including Americans’ lack of access to adequate mental-health care. The problem isn’t that it is easy to get a gun in America; the problem is that obtaining a gun is easier than getting therapy, or achieving racial equality and financial stability.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/letter...z1vkPJYRdk

quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1

It's like you're at a party or gathering and you ask a bunch of people who are sort-of huddled a couple of questions, right....

Then, some answer your points exactly and some expand on it and wonderful debate ensues.

And then you walk back up to that bunch of people and say

"Is life so boring in "Paradise" that this is all you have to do?"

I would ask, wth? And I would say, you haven't been to many parties?

Or something. Anyway, that's really mean.
quote:
It's not Paradise or even "Paradise" -- unless you believe tourism brochures, and are on vacation.
As good prep for moving here, maybe forget the paradise model and start grasping the complex place it truly is.

If it were Paradise, I'm fairly sure guns would not be a consideration.

Life on the island has many wonderful qualities, but it can be short on face to face options for intelligent discussion. Maybe you should think about why people spend time online here ... clearly they do ... instead of dismissing it as silly, maybe use that as a clue to what life here is like -- what it offers and what it does not?

Part of starting a topic is putting it out in the world and seeing what happens to it.

*I would be pulling weeds or hacking up jungle instead of posting, but it's raining too hard. [:p] *
"Is life so boring in "Paradise" that this is all you have to do?"

Are you so insecure that you feel you need guns?
I recall an incident on the N. shore of Oahu back in the 70s. The guy was being physically attacked by a larger unarmed guy. The initial victim retreated into his surf shop and when the attacker continued to advance he shot him dead. No jail.

quote:
Originally posted by big_island_bound: I would like to hear from a LEO on what he or she would do if one or more people broke into thier home in the middle of the night while the family was sleeping.
I don't think there is really any question there.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW: Why never shoot to wound?
You don't shoot to kill or wound. You shoot to stop. The most effective way to stop is to shoot for the center mass, which happens to include the heart, lungs and spinal column.

quote:
Originally posted by otter: Why tell people you don't know, what kind of guns you have. Don't do that.
I try to have at least one of each.

quote:
Originally posted by 1voyager1: I agree!
It's now Wed and there are 13 pages devoted to this.
My intent was not to stir up a free-for-all, but only to solicit information.

Although, I admit most of the participants do seem to be having fun with this.
If so, continue on.

Yep, I post in these threads only because I can find entertainment value in them. I doubt anyone has ever been convinced to change their mind on the topic based on such an internet thread.

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW: Firearms are potent objects of power; someone who picks up a gun instantly alters his status and relationship to those around him. They provide a quick fix for those feeling profoundly impotent and without recourse.

OK, that sounded like much BS. That in normal English would read: A firearm equalizes the difference between a 5'2" 110lb spinner and a 6' 250lb ex-con jailhouse weightlifter.

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH: *I would be pulling weeds or hacking up jungle instead of posting, but it's raining too hard.*

Really? It sure must rain a lot in your neighborhood.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.