Dark, depressing, rainy weather
Boy was my theory wrong.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Depends which bit of your theory you mean!

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Perception is a funny thing. All I was doing was offering what I thought were pragmatic solutions to an expressed problem. I better order me some of them Dr.Phil kidd gloves.
One cannot compare Kauai to the Big Island. Kauai is tiny, which means land prices are much higher than on the Big Island.

There's no way most people could afford to simply say that they are selling their place on the Big Island and moving to Kauai.
-Veritas odium parit”(Terence 195–159 BC))-"Truth begets hatred".
quote:
Originally posted by mary

opi

here is the rain map of kauai, moloaa bay area which is north gets 40-60 inches of rain, Kalaheo green and gorgeous gets 70.poipu 30.
kilauea which is north shore next to highway gets 60 to 70.

its a total nonsense that kauai is totally wet. on the and near the mountains sure, but many other locations, not at all. Kapaa gets 60 inches of rain, thats where most people live.

http://rainfall.geography.hawaii.edu/int...vemap.html

the only thing wrong with kauai is that everyone wants to live there especially on the north shore so it is crazy expensive. but then you get what you pay for, perfect weather. and thats the truth.

It's all good, Mary. Call it nonsense, however, some of our family are from Kaua'i for several generations(Anahola, Haena & Waimea), and having lived there for many years myself in Kapa'a, and Hanalei, it is only my personal experience.

Poipu is like a "mini Kona", imo.

No matter where you go, a chip on one's shoulder will create a cloud no matter how much the sun is shining.

Ho'omanawanui, Mary.[Smile]
Having spent half of last week in Kona I couldn't wait to get home. High 80s there, no breeze and still plenty of clouds. It was over 80 at 10:30 at night. I was very happy to be back in the (little bit of) rain.

Down here in Seaview we're kind of the exception to the rule for Puna. 42" through the end of July. Normal for the whole year is 96", and we were at 37" at the end of June, putting us quite a bit below normal. There have been fewer full sun days than normal, but I am still having to water the yard unless it rains .5" in a day, which is maybe twice a month lately. I think people have gotten spoiled by 3 years of drought. At least in Seaview, we are still in a drought. I'd be very happy to have more rain to get us up to normal rainfall again.
quote:
Originally posted by mary

**** it, i might just move to kauai next, at least i will get the weather hawaii is famous for. this rain is for the frogs and roaches. the few sublime days on hamakua is far and between. who needs that. oh yah, frogs and roaches.
Uh...mary, have you actually been to Kauai? Way more frogs (and, I'd bet, roaches) than here, because even where it doesn't rain as much there are huge rivers going through. Also, it does rain a lot in both Kalaheo and Kapaa (they're more comparable to Kamuela than the actual dry side here). Not as much as Hamakua, but then Hamakua is the rainiest lowland spot in the whole state aside from Hana, so I'm not sure why you picked it. As I pointed out in my previous post, it's only an average year for Hamakua, and everywhere else is dry. And this year has overall been above-average for Kauai.
I could never handle the traffic nightmare going through Kapaa on Kaua'i island. Bumper to bumper traffic most of the day. Last time there (2007) I met a sweetheart of an Auntie at a craft fair. She talked story while I looked at the jewelry she had for sale. "Auntie" mentioned how she was lucky to own her home and how her adult children would never be able to. It was just too expensive so they all lived at home with her. She was grateful for what she had and proud of her family.

I have never forgotten her. Our time on Kaua'i that year was a total rain out. I rained buckets the whole two days we were there. We drove up to Waimea canyon only to find a total white out. Couldn't see a foot in front of our faces.

I think about the casual conversation with the Auntie all the time. She was a ray of sunshine.[Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by DanielP

Perception is a funny thing. All I was doing was offering what I thought were pragmatic solutions to an expressed problem. I better order me some of them Dr.Phil kidd gloves.

What I do know of you, actually knowing you... is that you would never say "Oh cathy, I can not come and help you with your emergency until I finish my yoga class and lunch at Kalani, and then maybe after I go to Kehena if it's sunny". I appreciate that in spite of your humor than rivals my husband's non-PC humor, You are a genuinely kind person despite a sense of humor that we might not always *get*.

Please say hello to your wonderful wife for me!
Aloha Cat