Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threat of Axis Deer on the Big Island
I hate to think of the money and time spent on this issue, when everyday I drive pass tenement-like apartment buildings surrounded by little kids toys and trash (Hilo).

We should definitely be worrying about deer wandering around up in the mountains while we have so many homeless, so many out of work, and so many children living in squalor, ie unwashed and hungry. It blows my mind so many people feel so strongly about this issue and completely ignore so many others, lets talk about birth control and abortion next?

Cheers

rainyjim
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

I hate to think of the money and time spent on this issue, when everyday I drive pass tenement-like apartment buildings surrounded by little kids toys and trash (Hilo).

We should definitely be worrying about deer wandering around up in the mountains while we have so many homeless, so many out of work, and so many children living in squalor, ie unwashed and hungry. It blows my mind so many people feel so strongly about this issue and completely ignore so many others, lets talk about birth control and abortion next?

Cheers

rainyjim

Nah, the topic of invasive ungulates is specific to Hawaii. Your off-topic suggestions are all over the place. Plus invasive ungulates are directly related to the extinction of multiple species. Not only that, to focus on the run-down low income housing is missing all the recent news about several low income housing projects going on. Eradicating the axis deer problem is something that is immediate and needs to be done quickly. Eradicating the sheep, goats and wild pigs has to be a steady ongoing effort. Eradication must be done to bring back ecosystems. The only ones making an effort to restore native ecosystems is the state and DLNR. The hunters aren't doing anything except stroking themselves.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I find it interesting you quoted my post. Mostly because your response below it doesn't address anything in my post you quoted. Did you even read my post? This is what makes forums so lovely. No actual context is needed and you can say anything you want, or quote someone for no reason at all!

Cheers

rainyjim
The addition of invasive deer to the environment in Hawaii can be directly correlated to hardship for people, including less food. Yes, it is socially responsible to spend time, effort, and money to eradicate the deer now. It would be money well spent.

This is not just a case wherein an easily transported pest managed to slip through. It was a case of people going to great effort and expense to secretly introduce a large animal that would not have made it here on it's own, had not despite being present on the nearest islands for over a hundred years. It was not even remotely part of a natural cycle.

I like hunting and generally speaking I like hunters but in this case hunters are part of the problem, not the solution.
quote:
Originally posted by rainyjim

I find it interesting you quoted my post. Mostly because your response below it doesn't address anything in my post you quoted. Did you even read my post? This is what makes forums so lovely. No actual context is needed and you can say anything you want, or quote someone for no reason at all!

Cheers

rainyjim

The reply was specifically to the points in your post. You lament the time and money spent on eradication when so much else needs to be done. And my point is that your perception of is neglecting the low income housing projects taking care of some of those things you are seeing lacking.

Anyway, if that wasn't a deliberate thread jacking, the topic here is eradication of invasive species. The main problem here is the eradication is too inefficient and thereby ineffective. There is the next step in eradication.

This is a UK police surveillance UAV. Reduce the camera size to include an onboard weapon:
http://www.technovelgy.com/graphics/cont...-drone.jpg

This is just a computer render but it isn't far from being real.
http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem...drotor.png

There are some homebrews that have put small rocket launchers on their custom UAV. A larger UAV could hold a CO2 powered bolt gun. They aren't totally silent but would only have to hover a couple hundred feet from the target. The bolt gun would be nearly silent. The UAV operator can be out of sight and smell with first person camera view. More efficient, precise, stealthy and rapid eradication is needed.
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

That is not only a myth, it is a huge whopper of a lie.

That "whoosh" sound was sarcasm going over your head.
URGENT NEWS: AXIS DEER CAUGHT STEALING FARMERS CROPS, WHEN ASKED TO COMMENT THE DEER JUST LAUGHED AND JUMPED OVER THE NEW 10 FT FENCE! LOCK YOUR DOORS AND CLOSE YOUR GATES CALL 911 IF YOU SPOT ANY WHITE FLUFFY TAILS!

Also as a side note after eating the farmers crops the entire island eco system collapsed and now we'll have to rely on food shipped in from off island...oh wait...

Cheers

rainyjim
From Rainyjim:
quote:
After all its a natural cycle and nearly every organism lives to reproduce and spread themselves.
From MarkP:
quote:
It was a case of people going to great effort and expense to secretly introduce a large animal that would not have made it here on it's own, had not despite being present on the nearest islands for over a hundred years. It was not even remotely part of a natural cycle.

Exactly. As Mark indicates it was a secret introduction of a potentially destructive species incapable of making the channel crossing unaided. An action which was carried out by persons who had little interest in the concerns of the Big Island community at large and were focused only on achieving the introduction without any of the hindrances they obviously anticipated they would encounter were they to consult said community and the state DLNR to obtain approval for a plan having obvious drawbacks to anyone with the most basic understanding of the consequences of grazing animal introduction to predator-free ecosystems which are the singular home of endemic plants existing nowhere else on the entire planet. As others have already indicated, the ramifications this scheme will have for our struggling ag concerns and the island economy are not likely to be too very helpful either.

If the notion that a small band of co-conspirators (I'm guessing fewer than ten individuals were directly involved) should feel they have the prerogative to impose their will upon an entire county of the State of Hawaii doesn't make you a bit uneasy, I doubt that anything I could put down here will make much sense to you.
When logic fails personal insults are your best arsenal! Clearly you've never seen a deer surfing before.

Cheers

rainyjim
I Think Mark and Seekir have made valid points. I don't see any insults tossed at anybody. Although accusing another debater of insults and putting them on the defensive there by deflecting the opinion stated is an old and over worn technique, that most people understand as a desperate grab. Its something most people learned in High School.
enjoy.

riverwolf
riverwolf