Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New restaurant opening in Pahoa tomorrow
"Methinks thou dost protest too much," as the saying goes; makes me wonder what manner of fruit has gone sour for Mr. JohnP -- perhaps he lost his restaurant?
Well for our new member, JohnP, I will point out that we have a rule about average posts a day being limited to five. You are new here and likely was unaware. I try to only apply the rule in egregious circumstances. The intention is to reduce repetitive and overwhelming posts from any individual.

You have made your point regarding the restaurant.

Personally I do not patronize that establishment. I think it is in violation of zoning and is a hazard for everyone traveling the highway. Very unsafe to enter or leave. It should be relocated. As for the pay scale for kitchen staff...... if the pay is low the owner might find himself losing employees or perhaps training his own competition.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
A true "violation of zoning" would not be granted a "certificate of occupancy" and thereby allowed to be open for business. Have you taken your concerns to the nice folks at Planning? Perhaps you should also involve the State Department of Highways....

I guess I'd better hurry up and enjoy the BBQ while it lasts. Just like Pearl's.
Per County, parcel 150070520000 comprises 0.22ac commercial + 3.4ac agricultural.

Anyone who feels the need to see this business shut down will have to invoke the State Department of Highways -- be sure to use the Honolulu office, as they tend to see things differently than the local Hilo office.

Realize that destroying jobs means a tax increase to subsidize the newly unemployed.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

I guess I'd better hurry up and enjoy the BBQ while it lasts. Just like Pearl's.

You might already be too late. We ate there again last night and all the trophies, plaques, awards, etc for the BBQ sauce were gone and there was no BBQ sauce on the tables like before. So I'm guessing they are going through a transition of sorts into something new but I could be wrong (Maybe they were just spring cleaning). As of last night, they are still unable to accept credit cards.

The brisket was still excellent but I was disappointed in the Texas Toast this time around. The toast portion was smaller and no cheese on it. But other than that it was all good!
quote:
Originally posted by Johnp

Give it a month or less and this place will be closed. Horrible choices all around from the location to to chefs. Someone who says they are that successful surely should be able to afford a better location and pay the cooks a reasonable wage, clearly the owner is only concerned about profit and not the people or community.

Actually I love the location of this place.

Restaurants only have one chef. In this case it's the owner.

The food is great and the portions are large.

The service was great.

The whole point of running a business is to generate profit. I've never heard of a non-profit restaurant. That's what food banks are for.

Interns work for free in hopes that it will open doors for them in the future. I'm sure lots of them would love to make minimum wage. We have no information to suggest that this business owner plans to keep people at minimum wage forever. Some restaurants give the kitchen staff a portion of the tips. We don't know what other benefits are being offered.

In my young prime I waitressed over 20 years same location.
I'm not sure how the tips are in Hawaii but in Alaska I could easily pull in
$100 or more nightly, some nights you'd have 3/4 girls on the floor.
Of course we tiped or staff this included our cook who also eat for free
and ate well. I'd walk out with around $75 after tipping my helpers all were happy.
Well we ate there again this evening and it was yummy. They are new and going through transitions with their menu items and sides, etc. The restaurant is NOT a dump - it's cute. I liked it when it was Pookie's (love Shelly) and I like it as Nevaeh's Southern BBQ. The okra was battered and deep fried and really tasty...it's the first time I had okra like this and it was delish. The sweet potato fries were also a nice side to my pulled pork sandwich...our bellies are full. Lexi is awesome as well...she is very attentive and polite...watches the tables and checks on everyone but not to excess...we chatted for some time and she was so welcoming. I wish them well.

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com
http://www.septemberspirals.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
We also went...very nice decor,,,awesome pulled pork.... great crispy sweet potato fries, good baked bean, yummy ginger iced tea... cash only tonight....

& I had some of those okras - I had only intended on trying ONE, as I do not like slimy okra. and in my mind, all okra IS slimy okra...well three were put on my plate & I made sure there were contingencies for those two I KNEW I would not be eating...but they were really good! not slimy! crunchy chunks, so delicious that I ate the three on my plate & had a couple more....

Gotta say, it is a fun, cute little place...a place to look at all of the decor accents that bring some southern charm into a more relaxed lanai dining feel...

And do agree with Rob on the egress issue - with a STEEEP U shaped drive...be very cautious, as there is a guardrail that makes the exit & entrance hard to determine from the road & traffic harder to see from the exits.
Agree that it's a Hazard... incredible really.

Nice for them that the Paramedics/Police are so close by though.

It's only a matter of time.