Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can I give to Hawaii?
It sounds like most people are wanting more jobs... What are your alls thoughts on exporting things off of the island such as processed ag products (coco water/oil, dried fruit, coffee etc.)? Isn't that really stealing from the island in exchange for cash? I currently grow food for a living and love it, but I feel it is a different ball game when its exporting that food across an ocean.
[Big Grin]

I am moving to Hawaii so I can exploit everything it has to offer, warm climate, fresh air, clean water among other things. Mostly for the Anarchy though!
[Wink]

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it.
Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
There's not much anarchy, the special interests pretty much have a strangle hold on everything
I came to the islands in 1987. I arrived with no job, no house, and more of a dream than a plan. I found a place to live on the first day, and a job the first month. One evening I saw a locally produced PBS TV program, in which they interviewed an elderly Hawaiian man. When asked what he thought of all the newcomers he had seen arrive over the years, his response was (and I paraphrase) "I don't mind the new folks who come to Hawaii. You know who does? The haoles! They get off the plane and think, BOOM, close the door. Now that I'm here, don't let anyone else in."

I worked for $5 an hour for most of the first year I lived on Maui, and Maui was expensive even back in the '80's. Despite the struggle to pay rent and utility bills on those low wages, there was never a year in which I didn't pay taxes, and never a year I collected food stamps. If you can ask yourself, am I the type of person who is willing to get up every day and choose to work for minimum wage rather than collect food stamps, and the answer is yes, you will contribute to the islands. If you are the kind of person who realizes your bank account is almost empty before it hits zero, you'll do fine.
Chop wood, carry water. If you look around when you arrive, you'll find plenty of wood to chop and water to carry. If you have an interest, agriculture for instance, work for a farm when you get here. You'll learn how different it is to grow food in Hawaii, and what markets are available to you. That's what I did, and within a year or two I started my own business.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

To the police chief's credit - havent seen any one shot for driving while minority or evading law enforcement out here - I'll take the trade off

Good point - bring a new mayor instead. His "we're here for community service" (and I do nearly quote) approach has certainly paid off. For him.

Beyond that, bring extra money for car licensing, an extra 10% than you normally would for your property taxes, a big dictionary that clarifies what is and what isn't a county road (and the $$ implications therein), and don't even think about putting in a cesspool.

Or, do as you plan - get your hands dirty in the 24/7 growing season. It rocks.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
Thanks Edge and Rainshadow, very helpful!
quote:
Originally posted by Seeb

There's not much anarchy, the special interests pretty much have a strangle hold on everything

That much I had figured out 20 years ago when I knew I was going to eventually move here for sure. Just bring an "Aloha" attitude and all will work out fine.

[Smile]

Mahalo
Rick
Mahalo
Rick
I would like to share our kupuna (elders) teachings we live by daily:

Five key Hawaiian values are Aloha, Lokahi, Malama, Pono , and Po’okela, the Hawaiian words for love, unity, caring, truth, and excellence.

Then there are the five values of Aloha:

A is Akahai, Hawai'i meaning kindness, to be expressed with a feeling of tenderness.
L is Lokahi, Hawai'i meaning unity, to be expressed with a feeling for harmony.
O is olu olu, Hawai'i meaning agreeable, to be expressed with a feeling of pleasantness.
H is ha'aha'a, Hawai'i meaning humility, to be expressed with a feeling of modesty.
A is ahonui, Hawai'i meaning patience, to be applied with perseverance.
I thought lokahi meant "peace" maybe you're saying it in a differnt way.
Never heard of the Aloha 5, I'll try to remember it.

I printed it and it's now in my wallet.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
check out every single Hawaiian History and Natural History books from the (Hilo) library and read them all, the better ones read twice Smile

so many (newbies and Kama'aina) here are clueless on these islands, and its history (its creation, plants, animals, people, etc....)

aloha

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha