Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll for Rob ....
Why do some people think so called (American) amendment rights apply on a privately owned world wide web site ??
You are a guest here. Behave or leave.
Best community website I know of. Tons of information, reasonable people for the most part and when someone goes off the reservation, well and politely moderated. Wouldn't mind a separate thread or whatever they are called for gun enthusiasts. Not all of us are interested in the best tool for killing people or how macho guns make people feel. It's sort of the negation of why most of us live here.

life is short. enjoy it
life is short. enjoy it
I appreciate that Rob doesn't use his blog as a personal rant soap box for himself or his admirers, nor does he use it for personal vendettas.
It is good to hear opposing opinions on issues, especially those I do not agree with, it makes me re-examine my view.
The everyday life info is very helpful on living and building in Puna.

"Good deeds fix bad days"
Have to say that I'm also puzzled at the censorship on the 2nd amendment and the comments that those who defend it are "haters" and "killers". Where guns are openly used, there is LESS violence. It levels the playing field as people who intend to do harm most likely will have weapons. The 2nd Amend. is designed so that people can protect themselves. Know the law. Know the Dick Act of 1902 that invalidates all so-called gun-control laws and can never be repealed. Why do you think that is? Besides, people hunt here on the islands for food. This is a very relevant topic. Why fear it? Why censor it because of ignorance (definition-lack of knowledge)?

quote:
Originally posted by Vampire

Looks like Rob has repealed the first amendment in an expression of his personal distaste for the 2nd amendment.

ROB = censorship.

SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI
quote:
Originally posted by jlgerk

Why do some people think so called (American) amendment rights apply on a privately owned world wide web site ??
You are a guest here. Behave or leave.

This is Robs site. He and he alone makes the rules.
Get over your petty rants.
This forum has been and continues to be an invaluable resource for my Ohana, as we transition from the mainland to our new home here on the Island.

Be Now
Aloha
Be Now
Aloha
quote:
Originally posted by liskir

puzzled at the censorship
There will be a point to this story that relates to this thread, so please stick with me.
When I first moved to Hawaii, I lived in a house with three other people. One of them got up every morning at 5:45, carried his portable radio into the all tile bathroom, and turned up the volume loud enough so he didn't miss a word of the NPR broadcast as the shower ran full bore. Needless to say, no one else in the house missed a word of the broadcast either.
We asked him to reduce the volume enough so it wouldn't wake everyone else every morning. We also pointed out that this just seemed like common courtesy. I'll never forget his reply, "I do whatever I want until someone tells me to stop."
And if that was true, the problem would have been solved. The reality was, he didn't stop, because he didn't really care about the rest of his housemates. He demanded his complete freedom to do whatever he wanted, at the cost of everyone else's freedom.
A home can't function under those conditions. Neither can Punaweb.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
This is directed at our gun aficionados such as Vampire, Birdmove, liskir and others,

Punaweb has survived as a community forum for over ten years and apparently is valuable to a number of people. One of the reasons it survives is that I do not allow the rants and acrimony so common on the mainland.

Regarding guns: As long as the topic of guns stays in a Hawaii vein that is fine. Hunting and local gun laws are fine and worthy of discussion. When the topic starts steering into national agendas I will remind people to keep it Hawaii. However, when the topic turns into a discussion of one's favorite weapon to kill people I draw the line and I locked up the topic.

Regarding censorship: No posting has been deleted. All remain in the archive. No one has been edited. No one has been banned. On my web site I am not going to tolerate postings which promote or advocate killing people. Period. Not on my dime. If you have a need to have such discussions directly or indirectly then by all means start your own web site for that purpose.

We are fortunate to live in the state with the lowest gun violence in the nation. Be grateful. Some appear to find that a failing and appear to stand ready to change the statistics. Take it elsewhere, you first amendment rights are intact. Your second amendment rights are intact. I am under no obligation, legally or morally, to lend you my forum if you want to promote violence. Luckily the problem involves a small number of people. Keep it up and that number will get smaller.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator
For those who purport to assume the best and ask questions and for the record, I'm not a gun aficionado...don't even own one, never used one, don't like them. I've never advocated killing, ever! I'm an aficionado of the truth, freedom, and the law not necessarily legality. They are not the same. I'm not ranting, just providing actual laws to protect people from runaway govt. Ignorance is no excuse. It's OK to disagree. It's not OK to ostracize because of differences in opinion. I would never ask guests to leave my home because of differences in opinion. This is just common sense courtesy.

Assume the best, ask questions, don't discriminate, know the law, follow the facts.

Good for you. Now keep it Hawaii.

Punaweb moderator

Punaweb moderator