Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DUI Checkpoint Blitz - HCPD
jlgerk ... THAT was damm funny ! mahalo for laughs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8cpkwPAbY0
aloha,
pog
Originally posted by Rob Tucker
"Drunk driving, to me, is more of a life and death issue than a civil liberty one.

This is, for me, the crux of the issue. And common sense (surprising lack of that being displayed here lately).

But, to be fair, I'm in favor of sobriety checkpoints too, since both sets of drivers have the same rights (though one does tend to kill off the other one somewhat more frequently, haven't ya noticed...).

Gotta run and catch a flight. I'm tipping off TSA/cops that the pilot dodged that checkpoint coming in, though. If you're on my flight, and it's late... well... sorreeee... but I prefer sober pilots to drunk ones.

-- rainshadow
-- rainshadow
I think it is a great idea! Get the drunks off the road! I am in agreement with others on the fact that the majority who are all whipped up about it are most likely the ones driving under the influence! Not caring until they drive a few thousand pounds of automobile into a child! So I say great I would love to see lots of dui checkpoints!
I am happy to give a few minutes of my time in order to save lives from drunk drivers. I see them everyday. Called the cops a couple times with license plate numbers. Nothing ever happens. Too bad, one of these days some person that I've called in is going to kill someone.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Rob "It would seem that Obie's point only applies if one feels entitled to drive impaired."

I was commenting on the current topic at that time about whether or not it was legal to have a DUI checkpoint. I guess I should have explained that.If you can call the PD and ask where they are going to have a checkpoint and they tell you then it would have to be legal and constitutional !

I found out about this because I am a gearhead and many times needed to have a vin verified or an inspection ( in another state }.
Looking back, I realized I'm far too "soft on crime".

There should be checkpoints everywhere. Let's start with "every entrance/exit from the highway", with permanent checkpoints like those used at international border crossings, complete with heat mapping, RF scanners, drug-sniffing dogs, etc. Not just for the DUIs, but for everything from expired safety check to underinflated tires.

The "back roads" will need remote ANPR stations. Anyone who goes that way can then look forward to "enhanced scrutiny" the next time they're at a checkpoint. "What were you doing up there? Trying to avoid the checkpoint?"

"Good morning, Citizen. Your papers, please."
Have to admit I didn't read every post, so this may have already been said. The Supreme Court held that random checkpoints are constitutional if they are random...every 3rd car or something like that. Of course if the officer witnesses specific behaviors that gives him a reasonable, articulable suspicion of any crime he can check that car.

We basically have no Fourth Amendment anymore as a "safety" or "administrative" exception applies to just about every scenario one can think of.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Looking back, I realized I'm far too "soft on crime".

There should be checkpoints everywhere. Let's start with "every entrance/exit from the highway", with permanent checkpoints like those used at international border crossings, complete with heat mapping, RF scanners, drug-sniffing dogs, etc. Not just for the DUIs, but for everything from expired safety check to underinflated tires.

The "back roads" will need remote ANPR stations. Anyone who goes that way can then look forward to "enhanced scrutiny" the next time they're at a checkpoint. "What were you doing up there? Trying to avoid the checkpoint?"

"Good morning, Citizen. Your papers, please."

don't look now!...took a road trip with my grand kids around Europe a year ago (drove thru Germany, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Czeck Republic, Poland, Germany, Hungry, back to Germany) and was stopped at ONE check pt. (driving back across the border from Poland to Germany)...try going from Hilo, usa to any where usa via Honolulu and count up the check points...this is one country?

try driving into another country from the usa and back...
Has anyone took the checkpoint all way threw the legal system to find if they are legal?they start do them in Alaska and and the courts rule them illegal you just cant detained someone without reason is what the Ak court ruled.

jrw
jrw
I guess I just don't care if they are legal or not. If they get drunks off the road, then that saves lives. I'm willing to go through the inconvenience if it shows results, which around here, these checkpoints always do.
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile