Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food stamps and Hawaii
Excellent point. I've been self-employed for about half of my working life, which means I've paid about 50% more into the SS fund vs a W2 employee... and I'll never get any of it back.
I always love this argument. Lol

Here's my piece.

I've been on EBT most of my adult life. As a single mother of two. I was divorced, because my first husband (and father of my children) was a drunk, and didn't work. I was better off on my own. I made over $12 an hour, and busted my hump at work. I also LOVED my job. Although I needed EBT to make ends meet. I wouldn't have been able to pay my bills otherwise. Guess what... People can complain that I was on EBT, but I was working, and paying my way. I was doing the best I could.
I got off EBT for a couple of years (after my kids were older)... But I was also working 72 hrs a week out of town, and never saw my children. That was partly fine for me, because I wanted to work and make the money I was. But let's say that, because I was never around, my kids were running rampant, because I as a parent was never around... Then I would be blamed by some for not keeping my kids under control... Though that's hard to do if one is never around because they have to work.
Now... I'm on SSDI and I still have EBT. And most of you would see me at the grocery store and think nothing was wrong with me. You can't see my illness, and you don't know what I go through (and no it's not a mental illness). Though people still like to pass judgement on something they only THINK they know about, because you make assumptions. My father-in-law says, "the system is taking care of me". I'm sure many people here would say the same thing... But the truth is... I've paid into the system too. Maybe not as long as some... But that wasn't by choice. I would LOVE to go back to work, but my body can't handle it.

Are there some people out there that abuse the system? Yep! Though you can't put everyone in the same catagory. It's stereotyping.
Do you ever stop to think that the person with EBT buying the better cut of meat is maybe doing so, because that's a treat for them? Maybe they've had a tough time, and that's the only way they can splurge on something to make things seem a little better. You can only assume why someone is doing what they're doing. You don't know for sure. You don't live in their shoes. So why judge?

As for blaming generations for the SSI problems... That's BS. The problems with SSI are the fault of the government. Plain and simple.
Agreed - big difference between a single mom making ends meet - and maybe tracking the dads through the irs needs some more priority....

On the other hand when it becomes a multi generational entrenched means of support - I venture to make the point - that is bad for society - and the folks who have become dependent - tough call either way

what I see - what it takes to survive for many is ebt, health care from the feds and a under table part time job .... there seem to be few other options to provide for their children.... I can see both sides of the issue .... you bet if my kids were hungry........

Those of us who prepare for the difficult times ahead are the ones who stand between the total domination of the powers that be and the freedom that they would take away from us. By understanding how hunger can be used against us, and then taking the initiative to prepare for that grim day, we can’t be controlled as easily as those who have spent years accepting the handouts and trudging along with the herd.

By making intelligent choices to ensure our survival and that of our children, we can resist. Every meal that you put away keeps you a little bit safer from tyranny. Every seed you plant hardens you against threats and bribery. Your self-sufficiency is what will keep you free.

How many buckets of freedom do you have?

Julie, you might want to change yor name. You are pretty well known now.
There are two different worlds in Hawaii. It is not anyone's fault on an individual level. IN a broad sense it is the governments fault, but it is mostly just the dollar equilibrating worldwide, that has brought the standard of living for most people down in the US. IF this had not happened, then the manufacturing wouldnt have left the US, along with the wages. Then the young people would also be planning on taking out more social security dollars than they put in, and the cycle would just have continued.
It just bothers me that the "ones left behind" are blamed. Who cares if they smoke cigarettes. Maybe it's the only pleasure they get in their entire day. Would you deny them this? The one's that have been left sitting in the higher income groups are just getting further and further removed from the rest of society here. I was sitting today listening to a conversation about "where to buy 400 dollar running shoes", "custom orthopedic insoles" etc. Then, some days, I sit and listen to someone rejoicing over receiving after 2 yrs, 300 dollars in back childsupport. I just wish there was more of a middle class in Hawaii, but I know that this is where the entire US is headed.
quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

I'm on my 3rd college degree myself.
If you don't mind my asking, have you taken any history or economics classes during the time you've been in school? Like 20th Century American History, or Econ 101?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Last post today due to limit, but yes, it was 25 yrs ago but I got an "A" in a macroeconomics class, and numerous history classes.
I did look up some very conservative stats, and a couple retiring in 2011 who made an average of 89,000/yr for their earnings had paid 114,000 in medicaid taxes over their working careers and 614,000 in social security taxes. They expect to use a benefit of 355,000 in medical services and 555,000 in social security benefits, over the course of their retirements. This is a benefit of 114+614-355-555 thousand- which ends up a deficit of 182,000 dollars. This info was off of the "nationalreview.com" website.
National Review ??????
Now your rants make sense.
timely read about participation rates - what caught my eye is how it is funded, every dollar that comes to Hawaii is a good dollar - or not?

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-cali...7166.story