Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Island *takes first step* in banning GMO's
Richard; The labeling movement is to require labels on products that ARE GMO. But you know that, right?
The problem with labels is less what they say versus what people think they mean which it why proponents like them.

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Greg. Make sure its fair, label everything. Start with corn flakes and ice cream and beef,chicken, pork, soda, frozen foods. Maybe, that will work, the companies that make GMO foods stop selling in Hawaii. But, what about the rubbah slippah folks?
I would also vote to label them. I want no part in their experiment. It took nature eons to make everything just so, then we go in and start messing with genetics like flipping a light switch on and off.... No thanks, I'll pass Smile label it please.

*Oh and I'll add they mess with cross species genetic manipulation. A little bit of pig genetics mixed with the corn genetics, A little bit of genetics from this virus put in a tomato, and so on and so on. This is something that never ever ever could happen in the natural world and you want to stick this in your mouth to save a few $$$, no thanks. Just a matter of time before something terribly wrong happens imo.
quote:
Originally posted by dragon2k

I just do not like the idea, the concept and I never will. I feel it should be within my rights as a consumer to have gmo food labelled so that I may make the choice to buy them or not! Why not label? Whats to hide? Dont say cost cause thats a load of bs!

I guess my problem with your position is your sense of entitlement: every food manufacturer has to track every supplier and every source for every component in their product - because if they don't, and then don't label appropriately, they'll get sued or fined or otherwise pilloried - because you don't like the idea that there may be GM - a meaningless distinction - components in your food. And if I don't like the idea that some component of a product was harvested on the sabbath - Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist, Cherokee, Wiccan, or othewise - can I demand that the day of harvest be included in the label? Can I demand that foods all be labeled non-kosher or non-halal if they haven't been prepared appropriately? It amounts to the same thing.

If avoidance of GM components is that important to you, then don't buy anything that isn't labeled "GM-free".
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ha

But, what about the rubbah slippah folks?

What about them?
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile
What about the "rubbah slippah" folks Richard?

Should we be relegated to eating dollar meals, GMO, and other highly processed unhealthy food so Big Ag can make higher profits for their one-percenter Boardmembers? we'd be just as well off eating our rubbah slippahs.

Why should we be the lab rats for the Chemical industry and Food Inc?

Damn right I read labels. I'm sorry you feel labeling cuts into your profit too much, but maybe you should check into a new printing company. If changing your label costs you more than a penny a unit, you're doing something wrong.

Where it will cost Companies is when intelligent consumers make informed decisions about what they are feeding their families; and stop eating GMO, aspartame, BHT, MSG, Sodium Nitrite, etc.

The industry's reluctance to labeling isn't about the cost of the label; It's about the cost of savvy shoppers reading the label.
The government should be required to inspect and determine the GMO status of all food. If they can send USDA inspectors around to grade the quality of meat then they can do this as well. Then all the companies have to do is print the truth on their product labels.

In the meantime, there exists an organization committed to providing consumers with a choice. The Non-GMO Project is a great resource. http://www.nongmoproject.org/
Nothing left to do but
Smile
Smile
Smile

That site is hilarious - making the world safe for organic toaster pastries - an essential consumer product - but, sure enough, they're non-GMO.... And three of the guys pictured at the demonstration look like they're on the fast track to the coronary unit - but they'll get there GMO-free.

Distract them with irrelevancies and sell them garbage at a premium price...
Them being? please elaborate....

Pogo had it as them being us....

- remember some of us confuse easily ....