Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sen Ruderman, where is the proof
Once again, toxicity and allergenicity are vastly different things. As I have shown in the studies I have posted, PEOPLE are showing allergenicity to BT. From the World Health Organization:

quote:
In June 2000, a Joint FAO/WHO Consultation on Foods Derived from Biotechnology was held in Geneva (WHO, 2000). It addressed the overall safety aspects of foods derived from genetically modified plants and focused on the applicability of substantial equivalence as a general guidance for scientific risk assessment. This Consultation identified specific areas on which further expert consultation was needed and recommended that FAO/WHO should convene an expert consultation on the assessment of allergenicity of genetically modified foods and the novel proteins contained therein as a matter of priority.

The 2000 Consultation adapted a decision-tree (Annex 3) for the evaluation of allergenicity of novel proteins introduced into genetically modified foods. It agreed that the reliability of the risk assessment procedures for allergenicity of genetically modified foods using the decision-tree approach should be further enhanced, including the consideration of additional criteria.
http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publicatio...an2001/en/
The motive of the Health Food Industry is to serve mankind.

Obie: "STOP, GO BACK! It's a cookbook"!

*apologies to Rod Serling
Permie:
“The GMO approval process? It absolutely terrifies me.”
“…a study at the NIH that raises allergenicity concerns”
“If a GMO is released that turns out to have toxicity or allergenicity”
“What if millions of americans are having intestinal allergic reactions to BT Toxin from GMO food?”

geochem:
"Mr. Ruderman's business model, and the business model of his whole industry, is to instill paranoia in the public consciousness over their food and over non-organic food production - that is their marketing strategy."

Permie has a lot of fears, maybe's and what ifs. Geochem seems to have caught the flavor, and relevance, of Permie's posts. After all, like Mr. Ruderman, Permie apparently has business interests that could improve if GMOs were vilified further.

The WHO article, for instance, was from 2001. Followup demonstrating Permie's concerns? Crickets. The antibody response to Bt article was from 1999. The followup gut/bmg link, an abstract, doesn't discuss GMOs, only generically that IgG antibodies from food may be linked to irritable bowel syndrome. Rather a stretch to point at GMOs. Also a big "maybe" in the abstract to the investigator's own hypothesis. By the way, our bodies create antibodies, including IgG, from exposure to almost any organism/protein, including those in our own bodies. That's the way the immune system works. Wikipedia says IgG's "[represent] approximately 75% of serum immunoglobulins in humans, IgG is the most abundant antibody isotype found in the circulation." Allergenicity caused by a single gene inserted into a GMO chromosome versus everything we eat, inhale or get scratched with?

The body of scientific knowledge was large in 1999 and 2001 and is much larger now, but the conclusion is still the same: there is no known food risk to GMO crops. To point, the Japanese government cleared our Hawaiian GMO papayas after ten years of testing. Permie's comments reflect the separate issue of consumer fear and paranoia.
quote:
Originally posted by snorkle

The motive of the Health Food Industry is to serve mankind.

Obie: "STOP, GO BACK! It's a cookbook"!

*apologies to Rod Serling

Please refer to my post re: that industry cloaking itself in self-righteousness...

LOOK AT THE NAME - "where is the proof" - not a single study has demonstrated healthier outcomes for people consuming "organic" food over consuming conventionally farmed foods. How can it call itself the "Health Food Industry" - it is a fraud from the name to its core.

Glad you mentioned my friend Rod Serling - these GMO conversations are right out of the Twilight Zone for sure...
quote:
Originally posted by peteadams
The WHO article, for instance, was from 2001. Followup demonstrating Permie's concerns? Crickets. The antibody response to Bt article was from 1999.

The body of scientific knowledge was large in 1999 and 2001 and is much larger now, but the conclusion is still the same: there is no known food risk to GMO crops. To point, the Japanese government cleared our Hawaiian GMO papayas after ten years of testing. Permie's comments reflect the separate issue of consumer fear and paranoia.

Notice that there haven't been any studies on the allergenicity of GMO since that time. And that's my point. The research isn't being done.

Conversely, the Japanese did 10 years of research on a single crop variety. TEN YEARS. And that wasn't for a biocide producing GMO, but a disease resistance GMO (much less concerned to me depending how they do it). They were thorough. As I've mentioned, I am not anti GMO. I just want the proper research done on every single new variety just like every single new medication has to go through rigorous testing. A biocide is a biocide. If the research isn't being done, then I have to be anti GMO across the board.
Since you are so worried about GMO's here is something to really worry about and no testing is being done !!!

The organic hepatitis outbreak: We need organic field testing

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/20...tnJarR6ddg
quote:
Originally posted by Permie

I'm moving to Hawaii to get away from this stuff for the sake of my children. I want to be able to grow as much of my own food as possible because make no mistake, pesticides ARE poison.
Well, there's your mistake right there. There's probably a much greater risk in eating corn grown on former sugarcane or pineapple lands due to all the horribly toxic pesticides that used to be sprayed on them and still persist in the soil, than from anything in the GMOs or the safer chemicals currently used. See, for example:
http://www.nytimes.com/1982/03/20/us/haw...hools.html
quote:
Originally posted by Permie
As I've mentioned, I am not anti GMO. I just want the proper research done on every single new variety just like every single new medication has to go through rigorous testing.

I defer to the wisdom of Dr. Gonsalvez, who developed UH SunUp, the original ring spot virus resistant papaya that saved the industry while working as a researcher at Cornell university. He said (paraphrased) all I did was flip a couple of genetic switches to allow the papaya to use its own immune system to inoculate itself against the virus. It was a papaya before, it's still a papaya.

And 20 years later it is still a papaya.

Now, stop and think of a several much bigger changes that have occurred in our food supply involving more substantial genetic alteration, although not man-made. The navel orange was a spontaneous change that happened to one specific tree in Riverside, California many years ago. Nobody knows what caused it, possibly a random gamma ray passing through a single seed and altering it, and thus changing major characteristics of the fruit. But did anyone regard it as dangerous? No, they regarded it as luscious, and stood in line to obtain it.

Same thing happened with the Hass avocado in Long Beach, California in the 1920s. Apparently a spontaneous sport found in his hobby orchard by a postal carrier named Hass, it has become the dominant variety in domestic production. Was anyone scared of it? Dis it need to be tested for three generations to determine if it was safe? No. People just found it to be delicious, and bought it, and ate it.

But when scientific researchers emulate the sport variation... but deliberately, instead of waiting around for some chance gamma ray to roll the genetic dice... they are pilloried. Sorry, wait... did I tell you about the Loganberry?

Irony of irony to me, the folks who are pushing the scary-scary agenda all venerate Big Herbal, which is essentially a mirror twin of Big Pharma, but on the rough side, without standards and regulation to assure safety and efficacy.

The SunUp was a papaya before. It's still a papaya. Why can't people just accept that? 20 years later, why can't people just accept that?

This product wasn't required to be tested and health food stores sold it.
I wonder if Island Naturals sold this ?

Diet supplement linked to liver failure ordered off Hawaii shelves

48-year-old Sonnette Marras died Friday at the Queen's Medical Center after taking the supplement.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/23652...ii-shelves
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler
Well, there's your mistake right there. There's probably a much greater risk in eating corn grown on former sugarcane or pineapple lands due to all the horribly toxic pesticides that used to be sprayed on them and still persist in the soil, than from anything in the GMOs or the safer chemicals currently used.

Exactly. For example, anyplace where cane was grown has widespread arsenic contamination, because it was used for many years to fight rats in the cane fields. And most of the sugar plantations also used mercury ant-fungal pits to treat sugar cane starts before they were planted in the fields.

Was there any cleanup when they closed? No.

What happened to that land? A lot of it was chopped up into small lots for people from the big cities to buy... people who wanted to grow their own and eat healthy.