Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoke and vog
no imminent threat folks! just burning hot lava headed toward pahoa area.
Well Frank, it's time for the daily civil defense update. Open the window and tell me what you see to the west.

Well I think I see smoke and a faint glow

Take off your glasses Frank

But I am blind as a bat without them

Just do it Frank and do you see smoke now?

I see no smoke now

Todays update, "no immediate threat"
The distance figures that are being reported seem very consistent with HVO's estimate that the flow is advancing at roughly 1/10th mile per day. That would put it at least 12 days from Kaohe Homesteads, *if* it continues on course and speed.

I am not going to second-guess what HVO is telling us. It's my humble opinion that their communication on this has been outstanding. I think they're doing their best to strike a balance between worst-case-scenario planning, and not alarming people needlessly. It's a tough call no matter who's in charge. I'm rooting for everyone involved. Criticism can come later if/when bad decisions are made.

Just my 2 cents.
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

quote:
Originally posted by unknownjulie

HVO just came out with their report for today and they have the flow as even closer at 1.2 miles. Sigh...

At that rate of advance, isn't it just three days from the boundary of the Kaohe Homesteads above Pahoa?

At the previous meetings the lava has been consistently moving at 600 - 900 feet per day. If it continues at the higher rate of 900 feet per day and stays on it's current path it would take 7 days. 5280 feet in a mile and multiply that times 1.2 miles gives you 6336 feet now divide that by 900 and you have 7.04 days.

That is assuming it stays on it's current course and at it's current speed. Just rough numbers.
That sounds about right. I would expect it to become an imminent threat in a few days.
CD and HVO's idea of imminent threat is " time to change from slippahs to sneakers"
Just wondering if they are going to wait until the lava cuts 130 before they start getting Chain of Craters road open. Yes, it very well could be a waste of money if the flow stopped. Bigger waste too if it should start back over the pali.

There may be some issue about destroying a "natural feature" in a National Park, unless the need is "imminent". There is always Government road, then thru HPP (Oh! the horror!)until the flow reaches the ocean.
How's your commute, Royall?

Dan
If the lava does cross 130, but south of Pahoa Village and the 132 junction to Kapoho, wouldn't there still be a route out? The lava might again peter out before it gets to the Red Road.

So much riding on which way it goes from here ... so stressful.
I looked at property in Ka'ohe Homesteads. It's not my crisis right now, but it could have been if I'd made a different decison several years back. I feel for everyone in the path.

Kathy