Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will you do if/when Ebola gets here?
Of course you think you're in the middle - most people do.
If you're still in favor of travel restrictions (as you were earlier in this thread)
then you're, let's just say, overly cautious compared to the WHO.

I don't have "no concern", every hospital should be ready for ebola, including in Hawaii.
It's not that hard. More money should be spent though on preventing the 99.9% of other diseases that will kill more people this year.
Paul, I don't think I'm in the middle, I am in fact somewhere in the middle.
You overreach when you decide to assign people to positions according to Paul. Maybe you could avoid argument if you stick to talking about what you believe without making snide remarks about other posters. Maybe you only post to get in arguments. You tell me. No, actually, don't.

Originally this topic was for people to discuss their concerns and response, preparatory actions, and so forth.

Now it is just another topic where Paul is looking for confirmation that he is right to insult people. It's a shame we can't have a non-judgmental discussion on ebola.

Kathy
"Ebola scares me."
"Ebola just freaks me out."

"it's such a hard virus to kill, so adaptive, so able to hide from treatment targets, almost wily and cunning on a cellular level. It does not want to die. In that, it's the stuff science fiction horror movies are made of"

"There WILL be quarantines once it is out of control, and then a whole lot more people will go through it"

"I don't see why either the ones humans now catch could adapt into airborne"

Your words KathyH, not mine.
Paul, i commend your level headed responses on this topic. the freakout meter has been completely off the charts roundabouts the USA, especially among the more reactionary and xenophobic mindsets. i wonder how the Big Island Ebola Freakout Meltdown Meter readings have compared to say, the deep south or breadbasketland? giving the benefit of the doubt and guessing a little lower on average.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

"Ebola scares me."
"Ebola just freaks me out."

"it's such a hard virus to kill, so adaptive, so able to hide from treatment targets, almost wily and cunning on a cellular level. It does not want to die. In that, it's the stuff science fiction horror movies are made of"

"There WILL be quarantines once it is out of control, and then a whole lot more people will go through it"

"I don't see why either the ones humans now catch could adapt into airborne"

Your words KathyH, not mine.

Yeah, not my words from this time frame, rather when the topic started. Find a current quote. I don't apologize for having an initially fearful response. I do object to you stringing quotes together to make it sound like a freak out.

Kathy
As my father used to say, and he had degrees in both sociology and microbiology, "Oh, the monkey wrapped his tail around the flagpole..."
The pattern of transmission of this virus is strange. How did all 9 (I think) of the people that initially carried the pregnant lady with Duncan out of the apt in Liberia get this? Why did only the nurses and not Duncan's family get this? Could it maybe be airborne for a few hours, right before death? and otherwise not be easily transmitted? It seems that "only" the people around right before someone dies are infected to any large degree. So, that is good for air and bus travel, but bad for healthcare workers. I am still waiting to find out how exactly the nurses and doctors (elsewhere) are catching this. Also, complete overkill to incinerate all the nurses stuff. I am so angry about this. Just put a padlock on their apt door for 6 months.
The Dallas family members not being infected would be good evidence that this is not an airborne transmission and transmission is, as stated in the news, accomplished by contact at some advanced stage of illness. The family appears to have used very good judgement in a tricky situation. Good for them.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
It's 41 days for proper Ebola quarantine according to WHO and Nigeria not the 21 day standard virus according to the CDC that was only applicable to the original strain.
Nurses infected here because of improper handling protocol and the CDC is responsible for managing and ensuring these protocol are practiced under such circumstances.
CDC website and it's original improper protection protocol for handling Ebola included exposed areas of the face including other misconceptions. The CDC was confronted about this and has since removed the bad information.
The list goes on with regard to CDC mistakes surrounding this situation.

This release by the WHO will correct my above statement regarding the 41 day quarantine and clarify what I was expressing in haste.
Read through the entirety of this release by the WHO to get a better grasp on the gravity of what we are being told here in the U.S.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebol...r-2014/en/

"WHO is alarmed by media reports of suspected Ebola cases imported into new countries that are said, by government officials or ministries of health, to be discarded as “negative” within hours after the suspected case enters the country.

Such rapid determination of infection status is impossible, casting grave doubts on some of the official information that is being communicated to the public and the media."
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

The Dallas family members not being infected would be good evidence that this is not an airborne transmission and transmission is, as stated in the news, accomplished by contact at some advanced stage of illness. The family appears to have used very good judgement in a tricky situation. Good for them.

excellent point. yeah, i was worried for them being quarantined inside of that un-decontaminated apartment for days. they really ought to have been immediately moved to a location safe for the public AND for them. hopefully hindsight fully inspires the speediest learning curve.