Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Feeling on people shopping-dining Pahoa?
I don't know if he said that or not (and I don't care either way), but he certainly doesn't say it in that video.
TV people take a lot of liberties.
We ate at Black Rock last night, hoping it wouldn't be packed by folks trying to see lava mayhem. It was occupied as seemed normal for a Monday night. We also avoided the post office road when leaving. It looked very busy that way and saw no need in adding ourselves as another obstacle. We felt it important not to deviate from our irregular visits to our favorite diner. The local business shouldn't be avoided just because of the current issue. I can see a few days where smoke may make things not ideal and better to stay away. Until then... go forth and enjoy what ye can of Pahoa.

That tire fire looks ugly. It looks like wind is going to continue from the north and east for a bit (looking at NOAA), which is a good thing for town, no?

Kathy
I was in a similar situation about 10 years back. I was in Phuket in Thailand just after the tsunami. It was one stop on a multi-stop trip, so we never gave serious thought to canceling the whole thing. I was concerned, however, that people would be upset we were taking a vacation in their area that had just been devastated, so we were extra quiet and courteous. We asked some of the folks there whether they wanted the tourists there, and their answer surprised us - they really wanted the tourists to come back.

The tourists - or any patrons for that matter - were what kept bars and restaurants full, employees paid, owners afloat, etc. Everyone thought they were doing a service by canceling trips to Phuket, but unbeknownst to them, they were doing a huge disservice.

I can't speak for the various employees at all the establishments along Pahoa Village Road, all I can do is try my best to imagine what is going through their head. And if I were in their position, what would be going through my head is all the worrying and nervousness that the rest of us are feeling. And if my establishment were empty of people, that would only give me one more thing to worry about (losing my job) and lots more time to think about it. If I were busy at work, however, that would 1) restore a sense of normalcy (even if for only 8 hours at a time), 2) give me less cause for concern about my job security going forward, and 3) be appreciative of all the people who came out to support me and my business.

So my two cents is to go out and be supportive of all these businesses, but of course be (extra) courteous and compassionate to all the people working under such odd and unprecedented circumstances.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
I agree, Justin. One way to help people is to get out there and spend money.
Absolutely. Spend your money, in Pahoa, while these people still have a job. They may lose that job soon.
We were at Boogie Woogie last night after running a lower Puna errand. Pahoa had patrons, and looked semi normal, with the exception of the limited vehicle traffic (I was surprised at how much traffic was "normal" and when there were fewer through vehicles, it is noticeable) and with that, no buses going through...

There were tourists, including a group from Germany that had planned this trip months agoa, there was a HUGE pizza order from a film crew. I think as long as everyone is respectful, it is a part of a living, changing community.

This flow will impact many, some positively and some negatively. If we respect each other, and help those that need help, I do not it as wrong to go to Pahoa ...just taking our example, if we did not have dinner in Pahoa, we would have in Keaau, only eating later.

I do not think any of the dinner patrons we saw were negatively impacting the town, but do feel that the film crew ratio is now way high, but know most of the people I know WANT TO SEE THE IMAGES, and do know that some of the home owners directly within the path have invited these crews to their property... so even that is not unwelcomed by the ones directly impacted...

Hopefully we can all help where we can, respect others through this and can see this as a dynamic change for our area.
It seems the problems are down near the barricade. Tourists and others telling lies to get through and go see lava, story on HNN tonight.

Tomorrow morning, National Guard.

Kathy
I called Paolos last night around 7 to see if I could get in Saturday. They didn't answer the phone. I'm assuming they were really busy and hopefully not closed.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

.. problems are down near the barricade. ... story on HNN tonight.

Do you have a link to this story? I was at both the Apa'a Street and Post Office Road barricades last night, and the people there were friendly, not creating any trouble or disturbances that I could see. People on both Apa'a & Post Office sides were quiet, speaking in hushed tones, with a reverence for what was happening just a few blocks away.

If you walked up to the police officers, they simply said there's no admittance beyond the barrier. Residents within the restricted zone have also been cautioned not to bring media personnel into the area.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves