Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the Best and Worst roads for bicycling?
In terms of traffic, terrain (potholes/bad cracks/steep/etc.), vog, etc.?

NrIn

I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did a while ago...
I feel a lot more like I do now, than I did a while ago...
Best roads hahaha. Definitely not in this state. Anywhere on these roads on bike or motorcycle you got a death wish!
Any road is good if you ride on the left hand side and keep your head up!
I sadly had that feeling...So if the bad roads and lousy drivers don't get you the loose dogs will finish the job...I guess I'm stuck in Florida...

Rodarupian
Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice...Will Durant
Well, before the highway construction, it was actually a pretty decent ride to hilo and back. The shouders were quite wide, and no hilles. It would be fien now on a weekend. I live in HPP and rode to Pahao and back a few times when our chess club was meenting there. It was tougher riding to Pahoa, as I always had a headwind. Coming back was easy, as the wind is at your back.

In HPP the shoulders are narrow, and there are dogs. One learns soon what streets are not a good idea due to dogs.

There is a mountain bike gtoup on Facebook that is local and called Big Island Mountain Biking.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I'M 66 and retired...Here in Florida I spend 2-3 hours every day riding...There are many good possibilities that are safe...We don't have hill issues, only wind...I don't think I want to start mountain biking at my age...Still I think I could mosey over to Hawai'i in a few years...I suppose pepper spray is illegal just like shooting burglars in your house...

Rodarupian
Civilization exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice...Will Durant
Government Beach Road south of Hawaiian Shores works if you have a mountain bike or hybrid. The potholes and bumps keep the cars from going any faster than you. Perhaps more to the point, hardly any cars are on it.
Yes I have a hybrid...Good to know there are possibilities...Now just have to wait until the lava cools enough to not set my tires on fire...

Rodarupian
I have decided to avoid any biking here where cars share the road. Then again in California I will only use bike paths too... there are lots of them.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The shoulders from Kea'au to Hilo are wide and fine in both directions except during rush hour times of day .
Bike paths do not really exist here.