Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The weather.
Tues. 2-10-15 a relatively strong cold front for this latitude will move over Mauna Kea which will probably bring a few showers of snow. Expecting small or no accumulation of snow for Mauna Kea.

You can sign-up for free for snow alerts here;
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mauna-Kea/6day/top

Beginning around the 22th of Feb. 2015 chances for snow will increase dramatically as Pacific cold fronts bring cold air South. It is at this time that we could go back to a wet pattern, as what commonly happens here is modified cold Polar air gets hung up on the mountains and that's when it will rain until that air changes or modifies (warms-up). So enjoy the weather now as there will be a price to pay.

This 40 day outlook which shows the air's vertical velocity or where will the convection be. Yellow to red color means convection is suppressed, Green color means convection possibilities are enhanced. You can see it's suppressed now but enhanced later (the Big island is the small dot in the center top);
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/pe...hi/cfs.gif

Mrs Mimosa,

As much as I agree with most of your post, I'm not sure about a cycle of sustained high winds on the summit. There's no way of knowing wind strengths at the summit, how prolonged they are or if the cycle has a 30-50 year cycle. Not without measuring equipment at the summit (i.e., an anemometer). I don't think such equipment was there before the observatories.

Pedantic, I know, but sometimes word of mouth doesn't always portray the truth.
"What's the likelyhood for more snow on the summits this season, according to either the weather models or the Mimosa Almanac? Thanks Smile
"

Over the years, snow has fallen on the summit every month of the year. It's a big mountain with unusual climate conditions. It might snow again or it might not. 50/50 chance as far as I can see.
50/50 chance of snow on both peaks till June 2015.
Mr.Mimosa Sr
50/50 - at least the models and almanac are in agreement - thanks! I'll keep flipping a coin and checking the maps and cams for the next snow day.

Winter is coming... (please Wink
Well it was nice while it lasted. Almost 40 days of very little rain and quiet nights. But the coquis are back!
Weird. I can hear them in the distance but it's quiet locally (Kaloli Pt. area).
Still basically dry here in lower HPP with southerly winds predominate since about Christmas. Bright, sunny and very warm. Everything is brown. Had to fill my catchment tank which I've never done since my house was built 25 years ago. Hoping for some rain soon
I used to hear the roosters of roving feral chicken bands in the distance and thought I would scare them away if they ever made it to my backyard. These birds are beautiful and they eat lots of coqui. Vacant lots all around me that used to have so many coqui, my skull would vibrate. Wherever these chickens go, it gets quieter and quieter. They have become very attached to eating the rotting papayas as they fall from my trees, pecking at any bugs they find. The roosters aren't bad, just crowing a couple times in the morning. Since their wings aren't clipped, they can fly a considerable distance and survive feral cats by roosting in the trees. The coqui skin is also very sensitive to acid and base plus needing moisture but not being immersed. They also need small pockets of water to lay their eggs in. The increased acidity due to the vog coming down in the rain, which is sparse and not enough to accumulate for egg laying, could mean the coqui problem will decrease by itself.

"Mahalo nui Pele, 'ae noho ia moku 'aina" - kakahiaka oli
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
Major weather pattern change across the Central North Pacific this weekend! Finally the long and unusual weather will come to an end! The pattern will flip-flop with a strong High pressure system to replace the very long duration Low pressure in the North Pacific. We will go back to usual trade wind showers and trade winds-Yeah! Although we won't see the end of Pacific cold fronts our weather pattern will be much more typical for this area;
http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display_...pac_precip