Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Architectural works of art in Puna
A true Wright home is designed with owner and property in mind. A 1995 completed home with every modern convenience not invented at the time can only be said influenced.

Especially since owners intention appears only to turn a profit and make money instead of live in the home.

Henry Ford drew many cars that never were made and cannot be called true classical cars if made new using all latest engine etc.

Both homes in Hilo are not the wantabe.

www.hawaiilife.com/articles/2010/09/frank-lloyd-wright-hawaii/
Former Puna Beach Resident
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Phil - do we have any examples of Charles W. Dickey's style on the Big Island. He brought together Hawaiian influences and the California Mission style.

I couldnt find any reference though to anything on the Big Island that he designed.
#10 The Charles W. Dickey home of Volcano?

Kapohocat asked if there were any homes designed by Charles W. Dickey in the area.

I Googled images of homes he designed and instantly knew it is extremely likely the fantastic home in Volcano was his work.

It has large hipped roofs and is of the right age, size, and quality to be his work.

The roof is red and the guest house is set back and to the right of the main.

Landscape was immaculate.

I will try and update each home with links addresses and details when found. Please add data if you know.
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
#11 In the Woods. Leilani Estates

Up near the top of Leilani, not the main road but the one to the South, there is a very special home. This home was lavished with carved woods, has multiple levels, and has a Robinson & Caruso feel. It is not a simple work and takes some approach and study before understanding what the builder was trying to accomplish.

More importantly, it reminds me of House on the Rock.

wikipedia.org/wiki/House_on_the_Rock

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
#12 Bob1, Absolute Paradise B&B

Firstly I freely admit to coining the name Bob1 and being 50% owner. The home is a licensed bed and breakfast in Puna Beach Palisades.

One morning a guest walked up and down the main patio and then thrust out his arms declaring loud and clear.

This was built by an Italian!

Bob is Robert Petricci and he has built several homes in Puna. Two homes are on my top 50 list.

Bob1's construction took many years and it is still not finished. Perhaps it never will be since the current owner always wants to add and change existing structures.

Bob1 isn't just one home. Instead it is a complex consisting of

Main home with pahoehoe foundation.

Pool and patio area with pahoehoe walls and hot tub made from ocean tumbled round lava stones.

Guest house with 2 story interior pahoehoe wall, pahoehoe foundation and unfinished lower level with two story high glass room

Two pahoehoe rock walled circular "pods" that were supposed to be two story guest houses. However were too close to road.

One semi-circular pod with pahoehoe walls that legally can and may rise to three stories.

Massive lava pahoehoe rock walls all the way around.

Lest you haven't caught onto the significance yet, I will write the word again.
There was no pahoehoe on the property when Bob began construction.

Bob perfected a technique of harvesting pahoehoe plates from the Kalapana lava flows. He collected pahoehoe in nearly flat sheets up to 9 square feet at a time. With o'o bars he and his crew pried up sheets and carried them across the flow to an army surplus trailer. Then he brought them several miles to site.

Forum member on Gypsy69 worked on the walls and describes their unique construction on page 4.

The walls and foundation took many man years alone.

Bob sold the home unfinished and the new owners elected to torture themselves by finishing upper walls entire with tens upon tens thousands of glass tiles.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
#13 Bob2, The Great Wall of Kapoho

When Kapoho becomes inundated again, an inevitable occurrence, one home will be among those to hold out the longest.

Like Bob1, Bob2 is encased in lava rock. A good start to hold out against a flow. However, more importantly Bob managed to locate a small high hill right in the center of the neighborhood to perch a home. A huge retaining wall holds the hill from spilling into the street.
All surrounding areas must be inundated first before lava rose to the level of the home.

Notice the rich red hues in the huge wall. Reds come from stone that was gathered directly from the East Rift Zone.

Unfortunately, it is primarily this wall that I must discuss since the home above is largely out of view.

It too features more lava rock and a pool area.
To further challenge himself on this project, Pettrici created a doomed lava rock outbuilding.
Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing
Sounds very creative Pmaise. Really though we placed the plates first, held them in place by backing them with blue fill rock and using rebar from the front side until we could chink and pour the cement. Lay one layer at a time, always pour towards the end of the day to allow time to set over night. Also the lots themselves did have plenty of rock already there we used most within the walls for structure and integrity. Most of the used chinks for the hidden grout method were broken pieces from the beautiful lava plates, so it blends in very well. Glad to hear others appreciation as the work lasted for years.
This is pointless without pictures.
quote:
Originally posted by bluesboy

This is pointless without pictures.

Agreed, the written descriptions are useless without having seen the actual buildings.
It takes time to write find links and create the type of work that can be easily appreciated.

This is a detail photo from Bob1 #12.

https://res.cloudinary.com/roadtrippers/...00022f.jpg

Hopefully, the above image can be seen.
I didn't correctly know how the lava rock walls were made till Gypsy's feedback.

More man years went into making my home than perhaps any in Hawaii. So I want to document correctly.

The workers basically built a female mold of the entire foundation and walls.

To start, a structural wall,you need a footing.
Workers first dug trenches, and then filled to ground level with concrete, rebar and stone.

Next they braced materials left and right of the eventual wall to make a section of the mold. Most likely it was plywood braced with lumber and stone.

Then each side of the mold was carefully lined with pahoehoe plates they collected from the flow.

The best plates I understand came when lava covered an older flow. Workmen must have been searching along flow many many months to bring back all the pahoehoe required.

After large plates were added, smaller plates and chunks were packed in the gaps.

Next they added rebar and stone. At the end of each day they would mix and pour concrete so it would cure overnight.

Repeat.

Notice how Petricci continually challenged himself and workmen by building curved wall sections and round windows within a wall.

When mold sections were pulled away, inevitably some white concrete could be seen in the cracks. Therefore, a final step was to airbrush these areas with black paint.

This construction Gypsy termed grout-less. I the owner until his information thought the walls were first poured. Then the pahoehoe was faced onto the wall with an adhesive grout.

When the current owners took over, they added the bright glass tile seen above. These were grouted onto cement walls too. However, those walls from inside the home to out were built with:

Waterproof Sheetrock (The entire then current inventory in both Hilo and Kona was purchased.)

Ceramic exterior salt grade Sheetrock screws.

Framing lumber.
Exterior plywood.
A layer of galvanized roofing metal.
Glued and screwed.
A Hardy panel board with ceramic screws.
Adhesive grout
Glass tiles
Final grout

Now go ahead and get a good laugh in quick. The blueprints didn't call the two story building you see a guest house. Guest houses are not allowed.

Instead, since the property sits on a vast 1/2 acre of lava flow, a "fruit packing shed" was needed.

The building inspector on final approval remarked it was a remarkably nice fruit packing shed.

Interior tiling projects were more elaborate.
The main two of the bathrooms finished first were rather plain. Then a mural in tile of a petroglyph and volcano were made for the guesthouse. An artist that used to live in Kehena Beach Estates supplied custom tile for the main kitchen including a painting of Kehena Beach itself.

The most elaborate tile project was a floor to vaulted ceiling job in glass tile. 1100 individual tiles make up just the step to the shower. Six colors of grout help with the transition from the darkest navy blue down low to pale blue and pure white at the top.

Now sailing in SE Asia
HOT BuOYS Sailing