Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
And don't play dumb, you set up all those quotes to make Hawaiians look bad. Period.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island

ETA: http://www.upworthy.com/they-survived-10...ved?c=ufb1
And don't play dumb, you set up all those quotes to make Hawaiians look bad. Period.

If you look farther up the page, someone had asked about the basalt mining on Mauna Kea. No one else answered the question, so I thought I would offer quotes from people who knew about what took place. No more, no less. If you think a discussion of basalt mining on Mauna Kea makes the Hawaiian people look bad... well I'm not sure how else to approach it. Ignore it? Then what is history, just the parts that we like?

You also said the Mauna Kea quarries are nothing like what I've seen on the mainland. Have you seen a granite or sandstone quarry? They are relatively small, maybe several acres in size, and make great swimming holes after they are abandoned and filled with rainwater. BTW, I've lived in Hawaii as long as I lived on the mainland.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
There's no holes on Mauna a Wakea, and it lasted 1000 years. How long do the quarries you speak of last before you have to dig another hole? Seems very unsustainable.

History must be seen as a whole, the bad and the good altogether. The truth.

So you've lived here as long as you have on the mainland. And what does that prove?
It takes 25 to 30 years for some people to become kamaaina, and for some they may be here forever and never get it.

ETA: headed up to the Mauna, so pau for now. Aloha aina
I first moved here before you were even born.What does that make me ?

"The summit was considered realm of the gods and in ancient times kapu (forbidden) to all but the highest chiefs and priests."

Here is statement for you to dissect.I take it to mean that the most of the people up there protesting don't really believe the mountain to be sacred or they wouldn't be up there protesting.In ancient times they would be put to death.
Originally posted by Obie won
I moved here before you were even born.what does that make me?

Southernmost:
And for some they live here forever and never get it.

Non-Hawaiians shouldn't school Hawaiians on their own culture. So shame you guys.

There are many, many people of all stripes who don't know their own culture. Each case needs to be evaluated separately. It is not enough to say I was born here or born to XYZ parents.
quote:
Originally posted by Southernmost

Originally posted by Obie won
I moved here before you were even born.what does that make me?

Southernmost:
And for some they live here forever and never get it.

Non-Hawaiians shouldn't school Hawaiians on their own culture. So shame you guys.

I gotta say man your abrasive attitude is what keeps people away from the sovreign movement. Where is the grace Hawaiians are known for? You need some tact and decorum if you want your message to be heard. Otherwise you come off as one of those Defend Hawaii kooks. Southernmost - as in you live in the most Southern area of the USA.

Enjoy your trip up the mtn and dont worry about the Kapu there as those days are in the history books.
What I've taken from this thread:

- 'You' should / shouldn't do what 'I' say because of my religion/skin color/place of birth.

- 'I' get to have an opinion about 'XYZ' because of 'XYZ' issues but you don't get one.

Oh and if 'You' disagree with me you obviously don't know what Aloha means, dumb haole - LOL go back to the mainland!!

Anything I missed here?
100% agree Mark. Since the Hawaiian Renaissance though, many more Kanaka Maoli have become
deeply in touch and knowledgable with their culture. Part of the culture here, is knowing and respecting
the culture. Hawaiians had to know and remember their history orally or it would be lost forever. So it is
a very important thing here. Gotta get going now, to aloha aina!

You are bringing culture into a political discussion. Clouds the issue. Most I talk to love and respect the Hawaiian culture. Historical land reperation issues have little to nothing to do with the culture.