Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
Gypsy - please start a new topic on this. Why don't you call the High School and ask about the PGV money? Not only have they awarded scholarships for something like 15+ years, they also hire high school seniors as interns to work at the plant during summer!

Agree on the BS about local kids not ready to be successful in college. One of mine is in grad school right now on a full-ride scholarship. Another graduated top 10% and the final one is about to as well.
My child did 300 hours of community service for the County!

I read somewhere years ago that communicating and negotiating with another culture is like walking through a minefield blindfolded.

Even within a culture.
I'm watching The Kingdom of Dreams & Madness, a documentary about Tokyo's Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Princess Kaguya). In one scene 70 year old Hayao Miyazaki had to explain to his young animators how to draw a proper bow for a film set in the 1940's. He demonstrated how a modern bow differed, and pointed out the modern style would have been considered rude in the 1940's.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
According to a friend, there was a walk out by students at UHH this morning. Ea mai Hawaii

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
I call BS on Gypsy too. Many great great students continue to come out of Puna each year....be it Pahoa, HAAS, Kua O Kala, or Keaau for that matter. The problem is...we want more great great students.
Just how many keiki in Puna qualify or are ready to go to say our new national champion Duke university or Even Cornell, or Gonzaga? I want to hear about all the 2,000 pt S.A.T scores from Puna year after year. Some kids start out in elementary here ranked in the top 99% by their test scores in the nation, by the time they graduate from Pahoa they are not in the top 90% usually. Yes they are still 4.0 students and at the top of their small class, are they ready for the demands of a tough college though?
Anyway the University of hilo probably stands to gain money from the TMT projects, not the poor public schools. Does not matter anyway because the illegal observatories should just be moved to Mt Fuji instead. Again anyone know why the Great people of Japan who bombed Oahu don't want or allow this thirty meter telescope on their proud mountain? They could use the added $$$ to help rebuild after the tidal waves and nuclear disaster.
gypsy69-
I think there is too much light pollution from Tokyo and other cities around Mt Fuji.
Probably tens of millions of people compared to 175,000 on the Big Island.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
punafish - always appreciate your thoughtful posts, although you may be overextending your experiences with how the Japanese resolve conflicts within their group to all Asians (or Polynesians)? No doubt you know your history and understand the long racial/racist legacy that Japan has. Would be interested in how you see the language currently being used as trying to promote harmony or allows for maintaining dignity.

snorkle - thanks for the extra readings, gave me something to do whilst checking my knickers. Another possibility (other than white fragility) is that some are aware of the repeated negative results of racist language and reasoning. Again, everyone is welcome to their opinions but history does not offer many examples of positive outcomes from such beliefs.

southernmost - sorry, no can join you, the lines have been drawn and I'm one of them. Not that my haole opinion matters, but am always supportive of people taking a stand for what they believe in. Only downside would be if actions are conducted in a manner that is highly objectionable and divisive...

Since Gandhi & civil disobedience was brought up - Gandhi changed history and the world because he recognized the common humanity on all sides of the conflicts, even as people were beating, imprisoning, and killing one another. There is a reason why he is called The Great Soul and his teachings formed the basis for the non-violent US Civil Rights movement.
"An eye for and eye only makes the whole world blind." M.K. Gandhi
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

On the other side, the observatories haven't been sticking to the agreement to decommission older observatories as new ones come online. Even the one that was cleared down to the pad has plans for a new observatory. Almost all the rest have extended their EOL to 2033. Looking at the renewed agreement with DLNR, all the observatories see themselves busier than expected for much longer before becoming obsolete. Who knows whats going on there, but from the natives and locals side, there is more abuse of the most sacred spot for the Hawaiian people.

I read the University of Hawaii's EIS preparation notice for their 65 year lease extension released in January 2015. It states if the lease extension is not extended, all the telescopes on Mauna Kea will be facing decommissioning between 2025-2033. In addition, it goes into great detail regarding the scenarios if the lease is extended. Several telescopes will be upgraded and several will be facing decommissioning.

There is no mention of any plans for Caltech to reuse their existing site for another telescope.

I've read all the posts on this thread and I still don't get. And if I may be perfectly honest it seems like a small group of incredibly self-centered people ganging up together trying to live in a historical fantasy.

Like I wrote in an earlier post, the Dalai Lama said he didn't "get it" when listening to this groups grievances and neither do I. It's bizarre to the point of being destructive. And this is coming from an someone who made international media coverage for my work with Greenpeace in my wild youth. We had real a real cause...warning the world against possible leaking nuclear plants. We also worked with and were advised top experts before any protest.

Who with any honorable and respected credentials finds this a worthy cause? Please enlighten me and tell us their rationale.