• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
From my classmate Leka, action in Kona

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=860899703977929

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

Following the logic provided, I should go to Sweden, where my recent ancestors were forced out due to political reasons and demand something?...

If you are so inclined, yes, by all means. Especially if others of the same heritage feel as such. I have always thought that zionism as an idea shouldn't be seen as a purely Jewish movement to reestablish their homeland, but a term to represent movements to reclaim homelands in general. More power to you!

This is a very slippery slope, what about people like myself who have at least 12 different nationalities from all over Europe in my heritage, including people who forced each other to be refugees from genocide or mass forced displacement over a period of 150 years?

For much of this mobile intermarried world there is no one homeland to go back to, we all have exactly one homeland, this beautiful planet Earth that we are rapidly despoiling. Indigenous people all over the world are trying to hang onto their ancestral lands and culture, the world is a richer place for the depth and variety of human expression found in indigenous communities, and there is an even greater wealth of knowledge we all can gain from people who have lived someplace for many generations without destroying it, but for a huge chunk of the world's population there is no "homeland" to return to.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Remember what happened to sandalwood trees for one example?

Great example: wasn't that a post-contact incident, before which the Kingdom didn't have these kinds of problems?

I have to agree that the fallout from get-rich-quick schemes which involved Ali'i raping the land and selling the resources to outsiders does correlate strongly with the presence of outsiders as potential buyers. It also correlates strongly with Ali'i wanting to get rich quick.
correlates strongly with Ali'i wanting to get rich quick

The Ali'i were already rich until outsiders changed their idea of "wealth" and taught them how to be in "debt".
Originally posted by dakine
..you, who I see as on par with the likes of Rush Limbaugh...

Wow, talk about vilifying the other side. I thought this was a civil discussion - can't we just stick to racial epithets?

I have always thought that zionism as an idea shouldn't be seen as a purely Jewish movement to reestablish their homeland, but a term to represent movements to reclaim homelands in general.

Setting aside the mass genocide the Israelites committed to originally claim that homeland* (or the ongoing Palestine issue today), perhaps we can just paraphrase Marcus Garvey - Tahiti for the Hawaiians? India for the Tahitians? Africa for us all?
https://genographic.nationalgeographic.c...n-journey/

The problem is important, but infinitely more complex than any solution I've heard.

*Joshua 8 (one city sample of establishing a homeland)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Joshua%208&version=KJV
24 And it came to pass, when Israel had made an end of slaying all the inhabitants of Ai in the field, in the wilderness wherein they chased them, and when they were all fallen on the edge of the sword, until they were consumed, that all the Israelites returned unto Ai, and smote it with the edge of the sword.

25 And so it was, that all that fell that day, both of men and women, were twelve thousand, even all the men of Ai.
There's a difference though iron, Hawaiians will do it in a non violent way. No genocide, no gaza strips and no slayings. Just Aloha Aina.

Anuhea joins: We Are Mauna Kea - cry for the gods... Cry for the people.. Cry for the land that was taken away... And in it you'll find .... Hawai'i

https://www.facebook.com/Anuheajams/phot...17/?type=1

"There's a difference though iron, Hawaiians will do it in a non violent way. No genocide, no gaza strips and no slayings. Just Aloha Aina.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island"

sounds like a fairy tale.

It is possible to know and love our culture, history and mythology, without blindly following it. We respect our culture's journey, but we don't have to believe everything they believed in to honor them. We honor them by continuing the journey: learning, questioning, and evolving.
randomq... wise words with a universal component to instill a truer all around respect.