Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Kenoi gets a what??
This just keeps unravelling, unreported travel gifts as payments on his pcard. He traveled, charged it and 3rd party paid for it, and wasn't reported as a gift. This happened repeatedly. Amazing, what's next?
Here's a link to the Hawaii News Now piece on Billy's unreported gifts:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28768...port-gifts

Doesn't seem to be a criminal offense, but it does have the potential to lead to some hefty fines for ethics violations.
He's an attorney, wonder if his actions could become a disbarment issue?

edit for spelling
quote:
Originally posted by Chunkster

Here's a link to the Hawaii News Now piece on Billy's unreported gifts:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/28768...port-gifts

Doesn't seem to be a criminal offense, but it does have the potential to lead to some hefty fines for ethics violations.

I would imagine that the IRS would be quite interested as it would be considered as taxable.
potential to lead to some hefty fines for ethics violations

Only if Kenoi is investigated while in office -- the ethics committee will not sanction any "former" employee. (Brilliant system, you just have to stall the investigation until your term expires or you quit.)

wonder if his actions could become a disbarment issue?

Even if this does stick, Kenoi can always pass the bar elsewhere and remain a "consultant".

lifestyle of choice on his $130,000 salary

Note that the median income for this county is around $46K, and that many get by with less...

I would imagine that the IRS would be quite interested

IRS simply doesn't have the budget to actually investigate much. Call them if you don't believe this.
Chunkster,

Thanks for the link. After scrolling through a few years of statements a couple of things become apparent.

1. I'm glad I'm not an accountant, man I wanted to sleep after a few months of the same old, same old.
2. There's really nothing to see here. The man is the Mayor. Spending money on this amount of travel and entertainment is what the CEO of a $415mm budget/2600 employees company is likely to spend. At a minimum. He certainly doesn't live high off the hog.

His "crime";
He used a P-card as a credit card.

His practice;
His office managed his expenses and divided his personal from his professional activities.

My conclusion;
It must be a really slow news cycle if this is all there is.
I feel as though I'm living in an alternative universe sometimes. The mayor can spend tax payers' money as he wants and not pay back personal charges until caught years later and then it's alright, the TMT is only being built to use black holes for military purposes and anyone with a different opinion to southernmost should leave and go back home.

Oh well, it's Puna.
1. I'm glad I'm not an accountant, man I wanted to sleep after a few months of the same old, same old.
2. There's really nothing to see here. The man is the Mayor. Spending money on this amount of travel and entertainment is what the CEO of a $415mm budget/2600 employees company is likely to spend. At a minimum. He certainly doesn't live high off the hog.

His "crime";
He used a P-card as a credit card.

His practice;
His office managed his expenses and divided his personal from his professional activities.

----------------

HiloPuna - Do you really believe that?
The ONLY reason he paid back the charges ((over $29,000) at this point, was that he GOT CAUGHT!
[quote]Originally posted by TomK

I feel as though I'm living in an alternative universe sometimes. The mayor can spend tax payers' money as he wants and not pay back personal charges until caught years later and then it's alright, the TMT is only being built to use black holes for military purposes and anyone with a different opinion to southernmost should leave and go back home.

Oh well, it's Puna.

Southernmost - Cry for the gods, Cry for the People, Cry for the land that was taken away, and in it you'll find Hawai'i. That's where you are braddah.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
"Southernmost - Cry for the gods, Cry for the People, Cry for the land that was taken away, and in it you'll find Hawai'i. That's where you are braddah.

Born&Raised Hawai'i Island"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>gag<, i see the sanctimonious dribble is overflowing.

born n' raised, yeeee haw! lol