Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
just a bunch of wingnuts. just like the occupy losers who couldnt hack it for long. this crowd will find the next cause de jour soon enough.
By Jove, I do believe you're onto something!!!

Ono - So Fast - So Tasty!
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak
[br

OnoOno (Oh no...) - See first word discussed. Kettle, meet pot.

EDIT: hammering out a few dents

I prefer Kettle, Meat-Pot, Simmering a nice 'Roo stew.

lavalava, the group in charge on the 'sacred' mountain are occupy hawaii.

* ALOHA *
a disturbing description of the current situation for workers at the Maunakea Visitor Information Station as related to me from a friend who used to be the manager up there. from his conversation this morning with the current management of Mauna Kea Observatories Support Services.

workers at the Visitor Station feeling increasingly harassed by the ongoing assortment of actions by many of the protestors who have been camped out near the Station. these actions by the protestors being characterized as intimidating, rude and disruptive to the staff.

some examples as relayed to me:

- general rude and intimidating behavior towards staff at the protestor roadblock regulating summit access.

- disruption in the gift shop (standing directly in front of the register and staring at workers there).

- repeatedly "trashing" the Visitor Station restroom facilities, meaning intentionally making an appalling mess of it. feces left thrown onto walls for workers to clean.

- producing noise and light disturbances at night, presumably with the intention to interfere with telescope operations.

if these incidents are indeed true, i think it would be good to have them documented and verified as much as possible, then relayed to the media. personally, i trust my friend to relay the conversation which i saw taking place between him and MKSS management, but of course it very much needs some sort of real verification. i hope this can be done and, if accurate, the public made fully aware and the workers provided with adequate security.
dakine,

I agree with your assessment of this thread and some of the posters.
Lots of true colors coming out.

aloha,
pog
They have Opticians at Costco - time for a new pair of specs.

Originally posted by dakine
I don't see much difference between this obviously unpleasant behavior at the Mauna kea Visitor Information Station and the continued bigotry and thinly veiled threats some have made to posters here. Both are despicable.

The trouble of course is that there are fringe elements that like to cause trouble in any gathering. Hopefully the core group in both situations can figure out a way to minimize the disrespect and damage caused by the hateful words and actions of the few.
Daring to stray on topic, and following up on the ceded land and stewardship issue, many have voiced concerns with the management of Mauna Kea's resources by UH and DNLR over the last 40+ years as found repeatedly by the state auditor. (ran across this on a comment thread - it's fascinating what you can learn from listening)

http://files.hawaii.gov/auditor/Reports/2014/14-07.pdf
"...
Our 1998 Audit of the Management of Mauna Kea and the Mauna Kea Science Reserve (Report No. 98-6) found that UH’s management of the science reserve was inadequate to ensure the protection of Mauna Kea’s natural resources. The university had focused primarily on the development of Mauna Kea and tied the benefits gained to its research program.
We also found that DLNR needed to improve its protection of Mauna Kea’s natural resources, particularly the conservation district permitting process and enforcement. The department’s administrative requirements were frequently overlooked or not completed in a timely manner.

In our 2005 Follow-up Audit of the Management of Mauna Kea and
the Mauna Kea Science Reserve (Report No. 05-13), we found that while UH and DLNR had made improvements in managing Mauna Kea and the science reserve, more needed to be done. The university still lacked administrative rule-making authority, exercised weak permit monitoring, and management plans for the science reserve needed to be updated to reflect current use and management and to provide increased transparency and accountability of the university.

We also found that the leases, subleases, and permits were dated and that DLNR, as landowner, did not provide a mechanism to ensure compliance with lease and permit requirements. The department’s divisions did not coordinate their efforts in protecting natural resources, and a management plan for the Mauna Kea Ice Age Natural Area Reserve was needed.
Our current audit [2014] found that UH and DLNR have made progress on implementing many of our major recommendations from 2005, thus demonstrating their commitment to protecting Mauna Kea and its summit area. However, UH has yet to adopt administrative rules implementing its management responsibilities. We found UH issued unauthorized permits to regulate and assess fees for commercial tour activities, putting Mauna Kea’s resources and UH’s Mauna Kea revenues at risk. Without administrative rules, UH still lacks enforcement authority to effectively protect the mountain from public activities and ensure public health and safety within the summit area.
..."
Are there any rational people against the building of a telescope?