Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
LOL Paul .. Maybe my landlord if I built one up in town here.

aloha,
pog
Thanks for the links and quotes, Iron.

"Our current audit [2014] found that UH and DLNR have made progress on implementing many of our major recommendations from 2005, thus demonstrating their commitment to protecting Mauna Kea and its summit area. However, UH has yet to adopt administrative rules implementing its management responsibilities. We found UH issued unauthorized permits to regulate and assess fees for commercial tour activities, putting Mauna Kea’s resources and UH’s Mauna Kea revenues at risk. Without administrative rules, UH still lacks enforcement authority to effectively protect the mountain from public activities and ensure public health and safety within the summit area."

In recent years the rules and regulations for the observatories have become quite strict. Vehicle and site inspections (staff can actually be banned from the summit if they drive a vehicle that might carry an invasive species, e.g., dirt in a wheel well), enforced attendance of cultural seminars etc. We carry out continuous environmental and clean-up programmes in the summit area and receive regular reports from rangers about the conditions surrounding the observatories. Nearly all the clean-up we do involves tidying up after visitors.

Which is a nice segue into my next point. All these regulations and rules apply to the observatories, not the commercial tour companies or other visitors to the summit area. Right now there is far more traffic to the mountain from visitors compared to the observatories, but we and MKSS are the ones who clear up the mess.
Aloha Tom,

At this point I feel bad Pam's 'handle' is Beep Beep !

pog
LOL!
quote:
Originally posted by SuperGu

lavalava, the group in charge on the 'sacred' mountain are occupy hawaii.

* ALOHA *

are you sure about that?
dakine,

"Has anyone seen, and can you point to, a diagram of the actual TMT facility. I know there are those pretty pics the TMT folks have circulated, but I am more interested in actual drawings. I am particularly interested in how large a foundation is involved. Any links?"

Since you've had a little time to explore the link I gave you, I'd like to know what conclusions you have come up with so far. Since you weren't gracious enough to even say "thanks" for someone giving you the information you asked for, at the very least you could share your thoughts about the drawings.

I'm also curious about the threats you claim people have been making. Please share your evidence with everyone.

Thank you.
PM2

"if these incidents are indeed true, i think it would be good to have them documented and verified as much as possible, then relayed to the media. personally, i trust my friend to relay the conversation which i saw taking place between him and MKSS management, but of course it very much needs some sort of real verification. i hope this can be done and, if accurate, the public made fully aware and the workers provided with adequate security."

I'm doing some fact-checking as the media like to call it these days. Should find out if this disgusting behaviour is really going on and will let everyone know.
lavalava, yes I am sure. Occupy Hawaii (Hilo) has been with the TMT protesters from the beginning, and the face of the TMT protesters are Occupy members. Check out https://www.youtube.com/user/OccupyHawaii

* ALOHA *
How much do professional protestors get compensated these days?

David

Ninole Resident
Please visit vacation.ninolehawaii.com
Ninole Resident
Recent post by Richard Ha on his blog http://hahaha.hamakuasprings.com/
has a reasoned evaluation of the ongoing TMT protests. Worth a read?