Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
county inspectors used for harassment
i haven't really been following this thread, but this question caught my eye:

"why is it a way to threaten people ?"

my first thought is that effectively it very well can and certainly does sometimes function as a form of personal harassment by one individual intentionally targeting another. obviously there are huge numbers of un-permitted structures on this island. lawfulness and right or wrong aside, it is a fact that it is no uncommon thing at all, particularly in the more rural areas. so it seems enforcement is largely set up to following-up on complaints. it would naturally follow that an ample share of enforcement would in effect be selectively applied to instances where there is a personal grudge or feud of some sort involved. i can imagine for some who would otherwise care less, the easy target is just too tempting a prime vindictive opportunity. i'd say not exactly an ideal way to go about applying the law fairly and evenly within reason or in the process arranging things with a mind to better support civil behavior in the community.
Sounds like you might be able to get by without a lot of modification. Best of luck =)

Just call me Mike
Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike
thank you punamauka. this is a whole new area of nasty for me. i am actually astounded at how easy it is, and how few consequences there are for those that abuse the systems in this way. 'if i could change the world'....Smile however i think i can bring attention to the unfairness of 'surprise visits by multiple inspectors'. i am tempted, of course, just to keep my head down and hope this all goes away. experience tells me that seems to work for a great many people, so why not me? they have to finish reports and make new ones and all sorts of stuff. it is possible that if i just shut up, that my name will just be shuffled under the pile. especially considering that they don't have to tell me who is responsible for the complaint until they tell me to do something. that could be never. so i am caught between 'standing up and being counted', and 'consent by silence'

#10048;
#10048;
I guess now all you can do is politely ask for a corrections slip listing all violations they observe from each inspector with his name, badge number if they do so, or at least their business card to do a personal cross check that they have the appropriate certification for calling such infractions, and move on.

Perform your own Code check if you wish through the Internet for proper guidance on the corrections required by them, and use your resources available to you.

Community begins with Aloha
politely ask for a corrections slip listing all violations

I've heard that County doesn't work that way; they prefer to give you the violations one at a time, with separate inspections for each.

Then they wonder why people don't want to pull permits.
Hmmm....I Always had to provide a list of corrections, even if it was a seven page document in 4 copies each for a residence, 72 pages on an apartment complex gone bad. Talk about writers cramp! Anyway, the bosses reason was "if it goes to court, we better have all documentation in order to cover our..."
Cover sheet of file had to have my full name, certification types and numbers, and badge number.

Community begins with Aloha
many people dont want to get a permit because they want to put up a structure , to avoid taxes . also to use money that was earned through less then legal means.
The Hawaiian Acres subdivision land (=money) was established through "less than legal means"?
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
they want to put up a structure , to avoid taxes

County is more than happy to assess unpermitted structures for taxation.

Hawaiian Acres subdivision land (=money) was established through "less than legal means"?

Developer was required to pave the roads prior to final subdivision plat approval; it was cheaper to lavish gifts upon the officials involved.
"Developer was required to pave the roads prior to final subdivision plat approval; it was cheaper to lavish gifts upon the officials involved."

Just as well that the roads WERE NOT paved, given that some are more than 100 feet from where they are supposed to be.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***