Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Internet options Puna worse now than 1 year ago
Gus you won the Orchidland lottery.
The solution to this problem is the same as all the others: Puna must organize into a political force which can make its demands heard. Legislators and regulators are simply not listening to the "my subdivision can beat up your subdivision" argument that passes for rational discourse around here.

There is no (zero) technological reason that Telcom can't deploy more DSL. It's just money. I believe part of the problem is that Telcom's "triple-play" is priced for a town market (Hilo, Kona, Oahu) instead of the more demanding Puna conditions -- ironically, most people would gladly pay an extra $20/mo "country surcharge" if it meant reliable service that was actually available.

The fiber backbone map (as seen in the fine local newspaper) shows a fork in Keaau with spurs down to Pahoa and up to Volcano -- meaning the fiber passes within a few miles of all these subdivisons that can't get service.
I'm moving to Kona.
The Broadband Opportunity Council was formed in March & has a goal of providing high speed internet service to 98% of Americans.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off...-broadband

When the call to your non-service provider doesn't work, call your representative.

News story from January 2015:
President Obama is expected to lay out plans today intended to make it easier for cities, towns and rural communities to offer their citizens fast and cheap broadband Internet.
Obama's plans would include technical know-how and financial assistance to those towns, cities and rural communities that want to improve Internet service for their residents.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2...and-access
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
If ObamaBroadband is run anywhere near a bad as the ObamaHealthcare, then........ Goodluck!

Waiting for your representative to FIX something on this side is like watch the lawn grow for the next 10 years. I have my bet on 2016 when they launch new satellites.

Hopefully by then if I do move to fern forest they will have the unlimited option back. Anyone know if fernforest has cable running down the main road yet? Smile

Hey Gus, by chance are you from Oregon? PDX area?
Has anyone used the ViaSat service? I have a couple friends from college that work there, and they launched a new satellite with much higher bandwidth a year or two ago. Not sure what trade name the satellite service goes by, so maybe it's one of the services mentioned above.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The solution to this problem is the same as all the others: Puna must organize into a political force which can make its demands heard. Legislators and regulators are simply not listening to the "my subdivision can beat up your subdivision" argument that passes for rational discourse around here.

There is no (zero) technological reason that Telcom can't deploy more DSL. It's just money. I believe part of the problem is that Telcom's "triple-play" is priced for a town market (Hilo, Kona, Oahu) instead of the more demanding Puna conditions -- ironically, most people would gladly pay an extra $20/mo "country surcharge" if it meant reliable service that was actually available.

The fiber backbone map (as seen in the fine local newspaper) shows a fork in Keaau with spurs down to Pahoa and up to Volcano -- meaning the fiber passes within a few miles of all these subdivisons that can't get service.

"There is no (zero) technological reason that Telcom can't deploy more DSL. It's just money."

This is true.You live in a crappy subdivision with crappy roads and you have voluntary road dues !

Who's money are you wanting to spend on your high speed internet ?

Get off your lazy ass and do something besides bitching and moaning on Punaweb !!

kalakoa---The Natoring Nabob of Negativity !!

quote:
Originally posted by Obie

quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

"There is no (zero) technological reason that Telcom can't deploy more DSL. It's just money."

This is true.You live in a crappy subdivision with crappy roads and you have voluntary road dues !

Who's money are you wanting to spend on your high speed internet ?

Get off your lazy ass and do something besides bitching and moaning on Punaweb !!

kalakoa---The Natoring Nabob of Negativity !!

X2....
Justin, Viasat is Exede satellite service in Hawaii. It was barely reasonable when they offered 150 gigs for $110 but they stopped doing that in Hawaii, probably because they got too many takers. Now it's $160 for 30 gigs.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa...

There is no (zero) technological reason that Telcom can't deploy more DSL. It's just money. I believe part of the problem is that Telcom's "triple-play" is priced for a town market (Hilo, Kona, Oahu) instead of the more demanding Puna conditions ...

Another big but past problem was HI tel fighting Alaska Tel for the Big Island. Alaska Tel could qualify back then for federal rural subsidies but Hi Tel can not because it includes Oahu.

They fought it out for a couple of years and finally Alaska Tel gave up, took their toys and went home.