Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
how can “sacredness be lost forever”? you really are a loony tune gypsy.
"Good people from around the world from many professions are showing unity, compassion, and respect"

People like you?
I have to assume that 69 is just an elaborate troll who gets his kicks on punaweb.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Well I do believe in the cause and further protection of what is and MAY be sacred again one day or for another 1,000 years, MaunaKea. Also believe in building a few countries or people up instead of always tearing or taking them down. The Hawaiian people or Hawaiian islands are always going to be worth protecting, so why not allow their sovernty? America was once a very new country that has emerged as a desirable place to live, work, or visit. Hawaii and its fewer and fewer % of Hawaiians is just being sold and exploited, sometimes by its own people. Promises, rulings, corrections, and plenty of healing needs to be acknowledged.
This is as important of a time and place to start being heard, as any in the Hawaiian history added to their islands school books in over 100 years. Both plenty of Awakenings and History can be found on the sacred mountain of MaunaKea right now, most importantly change is upon her and her growingly strong people. That is ofcourse if you are willing to see, feel, or listen with an open mind and heart.

Still feeling this way, and proud to be from Hawaii!
Serious question here from someone who is trying to better understand this situation. Who owns the Mauna Kea Access Road? If it is a road open to he public, what is to stop anyone of us from building an ahu in the middle of any roadway we consider to be sacred? Today's Tribune states that only the person who builds a ahu can remove it. Does this mean that I can build a structure in the middle of 130 or perhaps in front of Kalani along the beautiful Red Road, or on one if HPP's private roads and it will remain until I choose to remove it? I know I am being a bit silt here, but I am truly trying to understand. This island is a very spiritual place. There must be many places that need protecting and are worthy of an ahu.
Sandy,

I'm not 100% certain about this, but I believe the access road between the VIS and the summit is owned by the state but leased to UH. It is, however, a publicly accessible road.
Most likely the state will now require permits for anyone wishing to go to the summit. They will probably only hand out a handful of them while work is being done for TMT. Thanks protectors for spoiling a good thing for the rest of us.
I'd be very surprised if that happens, ericlp, and I hope it doesn't. However, it was very clear on Wednesday that quite a lot of the protestors wanted to block access to the summit to everyone.
It would be difficult to deny a permit to someone seeking a cultural use, just as it has been difficult to stand up to anyone using and abusing that argument so far. It would be more proper although in some ways more painful to simply require and enforce socially acceptable behavior, such as not carjacking people on their way up to the summit. I still don't understand how the police could stand idly by while private citizens stopped other private citizens and demanded, well, anything from them.
You're not alone in thinking that, MarkP.