Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
earthquake
Not matter how offended you are, your prediction was still wrong. I'm sorry. Please try again.
Not matter how offended you are, your prediction was still wrong.

I predict that someone will be offended, and so far I'm 100% correct.
Predicting earthquakes is a difficult task, one that great minds around the world continue to research. Understanding the earth's processes, and trying to identify relationships, as dakine is contributing, is key to furthering that task.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

I wonder Paul, have you ever considered the notion that if you can't say something nice maybe it's best to just say nothing at all? I mean, why is it you have to debunk everything? What value to the discussion are you adding? Is there some virtue in your observations? Something useful being contributed?

My only observation is there are couplets of earthquakes that happen in similar locations at similar depths, over time. What's your problem? I mean after the last few days of the I'm sorry Rob. ( Punatalk ) Suggestions ??? discussion, as seen here:

http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21491

I would think you'd just give it a break, be nice, supportive, encouraging. Is that so hard? Do you really have to make statements like No experience is needed to debunk claims that are at odds with the facts when in fact you don't site any, you don't make any statement that's backed up with any content other than your own negativism. Why? Are you just addicted to being negative?

Hi Dakine, you and others might be interested in this links (both have relavent Hi content),
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=gxgYy0oHe2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxgYy0oHe2s

As well there was a 5.3 earthquake during hurricane flossie
[Hawaii busy with quake, Hurricane Flossie | The Seattle Times]
google if link dosen"t work

edited to add relavent content
"Predicting earthquakes is a difficult task, one that great minds around the world continue to research. Understanding the earth's processes, and trying to identify relationships, as dakine is contributing, is key to furthering that task."

Bluesboy, I hope you understand that of the "great minds around the world (who) continue to research" predicting earthquakes, dakine <snort> is not one of them ...let alone a seismologist, volcanologist, geologist, or even an officially trained scientist of any sort (please do correct me if I am wrong on the latter).

A recent article from Smithsonian concerning the prospects of useful earthquake prediction:

The Shaky Science Behind Predicting Earthquakes, By Elizabeth Kolbert
Smithsonian Magazine | June 2015 - http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-na...96/?no-ist

"After more than 40 years of intensive research, seismologists have yet to find a signal that can reliably be used to forecast a major quake. “Earthquake science is a field in which the most fundamental problem—reliable earthquake prediction—remains to be solved,” Hough observed."

"The question of whether seismologists will ever be able to predict earthquakes is one that still divides the field. To some, the fact that no reliable signal has yet been found simply means more research is needed. To others, it’s an indication that such a signal doesn’t exist.

“Nothing is hopeless,” is how one Italian geologist put it to me. “What I say is, Now we do not know how to predict earthquakes. So we have to face the problem: What to do in this time when we do not predict quakes.”
"
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"Predicting earthquakes is a difficult task, one that great minds around the world continue to research. Understanding the earth's processes, and trying to identify relationships, as dakine is contributing, is key to furthering that task."

Bluesboy, I hope you understand that of the "great minds around the world (who) continue to research" predicting earthquakes, dakine <snort> is not one of them ...let alone a seismologist, volcanologist, geologist, or even an officially trained scientist of any sort (please do correct me if I am wrong on the latter).

How do you know? And why do you have to be one of the those types of scientists to make an observation? Have you heard this saying?

I ka nana no a ‘ike
(By observing, one learns)
"How do you know? And why do you have to be one of the those types of scientists to make an observation?"

Because he has stated his professional background a number of times here on PW (which I will leave for him to restate if he so desires), and it did not include any of the above. I assume he was being truthful about that.

As for amateur observations predicting EQs, even the possibility of meaningful earthquake prediction is controversial among actual trained professionals in the field of seismology. I will leave it to them.
Shakemap;
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...t_shakemap
if i had a dollar every time someone in puna said they noticed all the dogs or frogs got quiet before an earthquake.
if i had a dollar every time someone in puna said...

I wish I had a dollar every time the frogs & dogs in Puna got quiet, and there wasn't an earthquake. Even a dime.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves